Sacrifice (Saxon album)
Cover art by Paul R. Gregory
|Studio album by Saxon|
|Released||1 March 2013|
|Recorded||LS Studios, Yorkshire, England|
|Producer||Biff Byford, Andy Sneap|
Background and production
In late January 2012, drummer Nigel Glockler revealed on Facebook that the band was getting ready to write a followup to the previous year's Call to Arms. About a month later Glockler revealed, again via Facebook, that he and guitarist Doug Scarratt were convening in Glockler's home studio to write before a band meeting in March.
On 30 March 2012, vocalist Biff Byford issued an update stating that the band have a few ideas, and that he had started writing and arranging melodies. Additionally, in July 2012, two short videos were released via Youtube that show band members jamming in the studio.
In mid-August, the band released an update regarding the album. It was revealed that only a few vocals and other small things had yet to be completed. It was also announced that the album would most likely be produced by Andy Sneap. By the end of August, it was announced that the recording had been completed, and Andy Sneap was getting ready to mix the record. By October, the mixing process had been completed.
On 30 October 2012, the band had announced, via their official website, the UK leg of the Sacrifice World Tour which would support the new album, whose title was revealed to be Sacrifice.
The tracklisting and album artwork was announced on 15 November 2012.
Release and promotion
The album was originally due to be released in several formats starting on 22 February, but due to production issues, the date was pushed back one week to 1 March. The album was released as a CD, deluxe edition, which included a bonus CD of re-recorded versions of older Saxon songs, and a picture disc. In addition, the iTunes release featured an exclusive bonus track, Luck of the Draw.
A world tour followed the album's release. The tour started in the US, and involved an appearance on the Monsters of Rock cruise, followed by South American dates. A UK tour followed in April, and European dates followed, including a headlining appearance at the Bang Your Head!!! festival in Germany and an appearance at France's Hellfest.
To help with promotion for the album, a music video for the album's title track was released on 25 February 2013.
Mark Gromen, reviewing Sacrifice for Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles contrasted the album with its predecessor by calling the effort more metal than 2011's Call to Arms. Gromen noted that the band had increased the intensity of their songwriting and that the guitars were heavier and faster. He gave the album an 8/10 rating.
Sacrifice was also positively reviewed by Blabbermouth.net, who granted a score of 8/10.
|3.||"Made in Belfast"||Saxon/Biff Byford||4:34|
|4.||"Warriors of the Road"||Saxon/Biff Byford||3:34|
|5.||"Guardians of the Tomb"||Saxon/Biff Byford||4:47|
|6.||"Stand up and Fight"||Saxon/Biff Byford||4:02|
|7.||"Walking the Steel"||Saxon/Biff Byford||4:24|
|8.||"Night of the Wolf"||Saxon/Biff Byford||4:20|
|9.||"Wheels of Terror"||Saxon/Biff Byford||4:23|
|10.||"Standing in a Queue"||Saxon/Biff Byford||3:36|
|iTunes bonus track|
|11.||"Luck of the Draw"||3:20|
|1.||"Crusader" (Orchestrated version; original version released on Crusader)||Saxon||6:42|
|2.||"Just Let Me Rock" (Re-recorded version; original version released on Crusader)||Saxon||3:40|
|3.||"Requiem" (Acoustic version; original version released on Solid Ball of Rock)||Byford, Oliver, Carter, Glockler||3:31|
|4.||"Frozen Rainbow" (Acoustic version; original version released on Saxon)||Byford, Quinn, Graham Oliver, Steve Dawson, Pete Gill||4:05|
|5.||"Forever Free" (Re-recorded version; original version released on Forever Free)||Byford, Oliver, Quinn||4:48|
- "Saxon prepare to deliver their latest album Sacrifice, in February 2013". Saxon747.com (official band website). Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Saxon's New Album Pushed Back To March - Feb. 12, 2013". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Saxon Preparing To Write Next Album - Jan. 25, 2012". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- "Saxon Continuing Work On New Material - Feb. 20, 2012". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- "Saxon To Release New Studio Album Early Next Year - Mar. 30, 2012". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- "Saxon: New Video Clip From The Studio - July 4, 2012". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- "Saxon: New Video Clip From The Studio - July 3, 2012". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- "Saxon Podcast - In the Studio". Youtube.com. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- "Saxon Podcast - In the Studio II". Youtube.com. Retrieved 15 July 2012.
- "Saxon Talk Upcoming Tour Plans In New Update". Bravewords.com. Retrieved 13 August 2012.
- "Saxon Completes Recording New Album - Aug. 28, 2012". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- "Saxon Completes Mixing New Album - Oct. 16, 2012". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Announce 'Sacrifice Tour' in Spring". Saxon747.com (Official band website). Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Second Announcement". Hellfest Official Website. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- "Saxon: 'Sacrifice' Video Released - Feb. 25, 2013". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "CD Reviews - SAXON: Sacrifice (EMI Music Distribution/UDR)". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "Saxon - Sacrifice Track-By-Track Review Available". Bravewords.com. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- Andy Lye. "Jukebox:Metal Review".
- "Saxon Begins Mixing New Album With Andy Sneap - Sep. 24, 2012". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. Retrieved 25 September 2012.