Saddle River Day School
|Saddle River Day School|
|147 Chestnut Ridge Road
Saddle River, NJ, 07458
|Type||Private Day school|
|Head of Schools||Eileen Lambert|
|Faculty||42.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||273 (as of 2009-10)|
|Student to teacher ratio||6.5:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
Parents Guild Newslink
|Newspaper||The Rebel Review|
Saddle River Day School is a non-discriminatory, coeducational, college-preparatory independent day school, located in Saddle River, in Bergen County, New Jersey, serving students in Kindergarten through 12th grade. Its student body of boys and girls is drawn from communities in Bergen, Essex, Passaic, and Morris County in New Jersey and Rockland County in New York.
The school was founded in 1957 and graduated its first senior class in 1960. Saddle River Day School is composed of three divisions: the Lower Division, the Middle Division and the Upper Division. In 1966 it received accreditation from the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. The school is also accredited by the New Jersey Department of Education and is a member of the New Jersey Association of Independent Schools and the National Association of Independent Schools.
Saddle River Day School offers rigorous academics and a wide range of class offerings with small class sizes. The Lower School offers foreign language instruction starting in Kindergarten, which continues as a requirement through 12th grade, and offers all other subjects in an integrated style. The Upper School offers Advanced Placement exams in the following areas: English, United States History, European History, French Literature and/or Language, Latin, Spanish Literature and/or Language, Calculus AB and BC, Biology, Physics, and Chemistry.
Saddle River Day School's Theater Program produces a fall play and a spring musical each year. In 2010, the spring musical was Seussical, which earned three nominations at the Metropolitan High School Theater Awards, with Nuala Cleary winning for Best Child Performance.
- Fall Drama
- Spring Musical
- Model United Nations Club
- School Newspaper
- Rebel Leaders
- Student Government
- Tour Guide Program
- Dollars and Sense
- Jazz Band
Rebels 404 Rebel Vision Vid Kids Comic ClubSRDS Cares
Saddle River Day School also offers from anyone in the 9th-12th grades participation in the yearly French and Spanish Exchange Programs. These programs include a two-week homestay in alternate years in Valencia, Spain and Dijon, France.
Since a realignment of all high school athletic leagues in northern New Jersey took effect in the fall of 2010, the Saddle River Day School Rebels compete in the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference (NJIC), following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). Previously, the school was a member of the all-private Patriot Conference, but after a decision by the NJSIAA in February 2008, both Hawthorne Christian Academy and Saddle River Day School joined the Olympic Division of the Bergen County Scholastic League (BCSL) later that year, and remained in the conference until it was disbanded as part of the NJSIAA's 2010 realignment. The BSCL was disbanded as a part of a wide-ranging realignment of high school sports in northern New Jersey, and Saddle River Day moved to the new NJIC in the fall of 2010.
- Jeremy Glick (1970–2001), a passenger on Flight 93 on September 11, 2001.
- Aline Brosh McKenna (born 1967), screenplay writer for 27 Dresses and The Devil Wears Prada
- Jennifer Moore, high school student murdered in July 2006 in New York City.
- Delaney Moro, a current student, who has been on Broadway in the original casts of Mary Poppins and 13.
- Saddle River Day School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- Saddle River Day School, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- School Search, New Jersey Association of Independent Schools. Accessed July 29, 2008.
- 2010 Metropolitan High School Theater Awards Winners, Metropolitan High School Theater Awards. Accessed September 7, 2011.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 15, 2014.
- Schutta, Gregory. "Two non-publics enter BCSL Olympic", The Record (Bergen County), February 7. 2008. Accessed February 7, 2008.
- New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association League Memberships – 2009-2010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 24, 2011. Accessed December 15, 2014.
- Wojnarowski, Adrian. "Glick lost his life, but won his final bout", ESPN, September 19, 2011. Accessed January 26, 2011. "He was an all-state wrestler for Saddle River Day School in Northern, N.J., a judo champion."
- Salemi, Vicki. "Glorifying JerseyA noted Hollywood screenwriter uses her Jersey roots to help inform her storytelling.", New Jersey Monthly, December 13, 2010. Accessed July 25, 2011. "“It’s definitely part of who I am,” says the Los Angeles-based scribe, who was born in France and moved with her family to Fort Lee when she was 6 months old. The family later moved to Demarest and then Montvale, where she lived from age seven until college. Brosh McKenna, now 43, attended Saddle River Day School, studied literature at Harvard and, after graduation, co-wrote A Co-Ed’s Companion with her college roommate."
- Feuer, Alan. "A Teenager’s Last Steps on a Trail of Missed Chances", The New York Times, July 29, 2006. Accessed October 20, 2007. "Even the settings seemed cruelly accidental: She began the evening in safety and affluence in Harrington Park, N.J.... She was co-captain of the team at Saddle River Day School in Saddle River, N.J., where the honors English class has been asked to read “Pygmalion” this summer and earlier this year two students picked up silver medals in the National Latin Exam."
- Kramer, Peter D. "Today it is a show", The Journal News, October 5, 2008. Accessed January 26, 2011.