Sadiq Public School
|Sadiq Public School|
"Do The Right, Fear No Man"
|Bahawalpur, Punjab, Pakistan
|Established||January 15, 1954|
|Area||451 acres (1,830,000 m2)|
Sadiq Public School, Bahawalpur, Punjab is an elite boarding college-preparatory school in Pakistan, though Day pupils study there as well. It is one of the biggest school in Pakistan. It is spread over 1,851 acres (7.49 km2). In respect to area covered it is the largest in the country and in continental Asia. It has passed its fiftieth anniversary.
On January 18, 2004, the school completed 50 years. It is a residential institution, imparting education to boys and girls from KG to 'O' and 'A' levels (Cambridge University) and local board Matriculation/Intermediate. The school has over 1400 boys and 600 girls supported by a staff of about 135.
The foundation stone of the school was laid by His Highness Ala Hazrat Al Haj Sir Sadiq Muhammad Khan Abbasi V on 4 March 1953 and the school started functioning on 18 January 1954.
When Pakistan came into being, there were only two public schools in the country namely the Aitchison College, Lahore and the Lawrence College, Ghora Ghali, Murree. The people of Baluchistan, Sind and Southern Punjab sent their children considerable distances to attend those schools.
The Ameer of Bahawalpur Ala Hazrat and Chief Minister of Bahawalpur State saw the need for an institution which would provide the same quality of educational opportunities to the people of the Southern Punjab.
In order to accomplish this project, the Ameer of Bahawalpur State, Ala Hazrat Nawab Sir Sadeq Mohammad Khan V allocated a sum of rupees one million and nine hundred thousand for the construction of the buildings. In addition, 2,050 acres (8.3 km2) of land was given by the Ala Hazrat at a token price. The site was transformed into a spacious campus of lawns and playing fields, in the midst of which rose nine buildings ready for use. The school started functioning on January 18, 1954 when the Ala Hazrat performed its opening ceremony.
Makhdoomzada Syed Hassan Mahmood, the then Chief Minister of Bahawalpur State was the main force behind the completion of this project which was completed in less than a year. The first batches of 'O' Level, Matriculation and Intermediate classes appeared in 1957, 1958, 1966 respectively.This school is rated 5 star hostel and school by Cambridge University Sadiq Public School is one of the only two schools of Pakistan which are the members of The Headmasters' and Headmistresses Conference (HMC)
Organization and curriculum
Pupils in each school are divided into houses. Houses promote inter-house competitions and mentorship opportunities.
The other two types are Secondary School Certificate or Matriculation (for grades 9-10) and Higher Secondary School Certificate or Intermediate (for grades 11-12).
- Kamal Pasha House-East Wing - Nursery to Grade 2 - (Junior School)
- Kamal Pasha House-West Wing - Grades 3 to 5 - (Junior School)
- Alamgir House-North & South Wings - Grades 6 to 8 - (Preparatory School)
- Shahbaz House - Grades 6 to 8 - (Preparatory School)
- Fareed House - Grades 6 to 8 - (Preparatory School)
- Salahuddin House - Senior School Girls all grades 0-12 - (Senior School)
- Mehmood House - Grades 9,10,11 & 12 - (Senior School)
- Abbas House - Grades 9,10,11 & 12 - (Senior School)
- Iqbal House - Grades 9,10,11 & 12 - (Senior School)
At the start the school had 37 children and seven teachers. Mr. Khan Anwar Sikandar Khan was Principal for over 18 years. For his services in the field of education he was decorated with Sitara-i-Khidmat. On his retirement, Mr. Abu Zafar Haneef who was the Vice Principal took over, in March 1972.
The next two principals were Col (Retd) Zahoor ul Haq from 1974 to 1990 and Sqn Ldr. (Retd.) Agha Khalil Ahmad from 1990 to 2001. The previous principal, Prof. Mohammad Asif Malik took over in September 2002. He is a recipient of the President's Award of Pride of Performance for services in the field of education. Maj. (R) Syed Munir Ahmad, an Old Sadiqian, took the charge as Principal in Nov, 2007, after the departure of Prof. Mohammad Asif Malik to Chand Bagh School Muridke as a Principal. Major (R) Syed Munir Ahmad had served in Shell Pakistan Limited as Country Manager before taking the office of Principal Sadiq Public School. He is the first Principal of Sadiq Public School who is an old Sadiqian. He left the school in 1966. He was a Member of the Executive Committee OSA (Old Sadiqians Association) Islamabad Chapter. prof.Saleem raza chaudry have taken the charge as 7th principal of Sadiq Public School. He served in many public schools including Aitchison College Lahore. Currently Prof. Abdullah Shah has been assigned the charge of principal since June 27, 2013.
As of January 18, 2004, some 30 old-students of the School were sitting in the Senate, National and Provincial Assemblies.
SADIQ has worst provided sitting Chairman of the Senate,Gen.Mateen Ahmed(Tamgh-e-Jurat,Medal of Honour) Chief Minister of Sindh, Federal and Provincial ministers, two serving Lieutenant Generals, four serving ambassadors, bureaucrats, industrialists, scientists and two former national cricket team captains namely Rameez Raja and Waqar Younis.
In 2003 one of its students won the first prize in the English Essay Writing Competition organized by the Royal Commonwealth Society, London. Another student got the best result in A Level examination in Asia. Old students have joined the Armed Forces of Pakistan. Old-Sadiqians made contributions during the Indo-Pakistan wars. Four former students embraced shahadat.Capt Rao Hussain, Capt Rao Waleed, and 2/Lt. Khalid Karak was decorated posthumously with Sitara-i-Jurrat, and 2/Lt. Farooq Afzal with Tamgha-i-Jurrat. (Statistics as of January 2004).
The new campus was completed in 2008 and classes commenced in October, the same year. Separate boarding houses have been built for girls. In 2006 Salahuddin House was converted into a hostel for girls.
Information Technology Center
An IT Centre has been established adjacent to the senior school academic block. Labs are equipped with computer workstations.
Administratively, the school is governed by a Board of Governors with the Governor of the Punjab as its President. District Co-ordination Officer, Bahawalpur and Principal of the school are members of the board along with the General Officer Commanding 35 Division. Six to eight Old-Sadiqians sit as members of the Board for a period of three years. The day-to-day administration is entrusted to the Principal, managed by the Executive Committee with the General Officer Commanding 35 Division as its Chairman.
Board of Governors
A Board of Governors oversee the administrative, academic and financial activities of the School, they are: Ex-officio members:
- GOC 35 Div Bahawalpur
- Secretary Education Punjab
- DCO Bahawalpur
Old – Sadiqians Members
- Mr. Rahim Yar Abbasi - Class of 1959
- Lt General Tariq Waseem Ghazi - Class of 1966
- Lt General Javed Hassan - Class of 1967
- Mrs. Shahnaz Hamid Paracha - Class of 1967
- Mr. Jahangir Khan Tareen - Class of 1969
- Dr. Syed Ghazi Gulab Jamal - Class of 1970
- Mr. Muhammad Zaka Ashraf - Class of 1970
- Mr. Saud Majeed (MNA- Yazman)
- Mr. Baleegh ur Rehman (MNA- Bahawalpur)
- Dr. Raheel Ahmed Sadique (DCO Rahimyar khan) (G.M Wapda)
The Hospital at Sadiq is fully equipped with modern machinery and with an Ambulance with 24 hours services.
- Boarding Houses
- Science Labs
- IT (Information Technology) Center
- Audio visual aids
- Electronic Lab
- Dramatics Societies (English/Urdu)
- Debating Societies (English/Urdu)
- Model United Nations Society
- Swimming pools
- Squash courts
- Tennis courts
- Badminton courts
- Basketball courts
- Volleyball courts
- Horse Riding Club
- Cricket Club
- Hockey Club
- Football Club
- Athletics and Gymnastics Club
- Sports fields
- Coaches for all sports
- Guest houses for parents/wards
- Hospital (with ambulance service)
- Canteen, general store, tailor shops, shoe store, barber shop, Post Office, ice-cream/drinks parlor, bakery, fruit shop
- Telephone exchange (EPABX)
- Haji Muhammmed Aslam Khan Khichi (Late) 21 March 1955-6 December 2008 was a former member District Council, former MPA from PP-193, former Vice-President PPP Punjab, former Senior Advisor on Inspection Team to CM Punjab, Chairman Shah Muhammed Group of Industries, Director Silver Star Cotton Industry
- Makhdoom Shahabuddin
- Muhammad Mian Soomro, former President, Prime Minister, and Chairman of Senate of Pakistan and Governor of Sindh.
- Jehangir Khan Tareen, former Federal Minister for Industries and Production.
- Zaka Ashraf, former Chairman Pakistan Cricket Board
- Syed Salim Raza, former Governor State Bank of Pakistan.
- Ahmad Jawad, CEO Harvest Trading
- Jafar Khalid, Vice President and Chief Technical Officer at Ufone.
- Siddiq Khan Kanju, former Minister of State for Foreign Affairs.
- Ali Muhammad Mahar, former Chief Minister of Sindh.
- Syed Ali Raza, Former Chairman & President National Bank of Pakistan.
- Moshin Furquan, EVP/Audit & Inspection Chief (S) National Bank of Pakistan.
- Dr. Tariq Hassan, lawyer, columnist and former Chairman of Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan
- Ishaq Khan Khakwani, former State Minister for Railways.
- Maj (R) Tariq Mahmood Khan Mazari, Chairman Chief Minister Inspection team and bureaucrat.
- Late Lutfullah Khan Mazari, former director Anti-corruption Establishment Multan region and District Attorney.
- Waqar Younis, former captain Pakistan Cricket Team.
- Sardar Muhammad Arshad Khan Leghari, Member National Assembly of Pakistan (2008) NA 197.
- Sardar Rafique Haider Khan Leghari, former Chairman District Council R.Y Khan (1979–1988), Former Minister of Food and Agriculture of Punjab (1980–85), Deputy Opposition leader in Punjab assembly (1997), Former Zila Nazim R.Y Khan (2005–2010).Mian Yawar Zaman Minister Irrigation Punjab,Pakistan.
- Maj (R) Syed Munir Ahmed, former Principal Sadiq Public School
- Dr. Mohammad Akhtar, Corporate Vice President Head of Networks Motorola
- Makhdoom Altaf Ahmed Hashmi Late, Former Senior Minister Punjab Assembly.
- Late Maj (R) Syed Tanvir Ali Former ADC to ex-President of Pakistan general parvaiz mushraff
- Asad U Qamar, MD FACC FACP FCCP FSGC FSCAI, Interventional Cardiologist, President, Institute Of Cardiovascular Excellence, Florida, USA.
- Lieutenant general Javed Hassan, Rector National School of Public Policy, Lahore and former Commandant National Defense College, Islamabad
- Lieutenant general Tariq Waseem Ghazi, former Secretary Defence and Commander V Corps, Karachi.
- Lieutenant general Waseem Ahmad Ashraf, former Commander XXX Corps, Gujranwala.
- Dr. Shahzaib Shahzad, Vice President Of U.H.S, Lahore
- Divisional Public School & College Faisalabad
- Chand Bagh School Muridke
- Aitchison College
- Lawrence College Ghora Gali
Mian Yawar Zaman Minister Irrigation Punjab,Pakistan. Punjab Government.
- Official website
- Official Sadiqians' page at Facebook
- Alumni portal
- Article in Dawn
- Notable alumni
- Sadiq Public School commemorative postage stamp
- Land Records. Office of the District Registrar, Bahawalpur city.Bahawalpur Division Pakistan