|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
Safar (صفر) is the second month in the Islamic calendar.
Literal meaning: Empty. During this month the houses used to be empty and deserted because the ban on going to war in the month of Muharram came to an end and everyone proceeded towards the battlefield.
Safar also means to be yellow. When the names of the months were being given it was the season of autumn and the leaves of the trees were yellow.
Many people have erroneous beliefs regarding this month i.e. it is a month of misfortune and calamities. The teachings of Allâh Ta'âla and His Most Beloved Rasûl (Salla Allahu alayhi wa sallam) gives us clear guidelines on such incorrect beliefs.
This word means "whistling of the wind". When this name was assigned to this month, it was probably a windy time of the year. Most of the Islamic months were named according to weather conditions at the time. However, since they are based on the moon, the months shift about 11 days every year. So, the seasons do not necessarily correspond to the name of the month anymore.
The Islamic calendar is a lunar calendar, and months begin when the first crescent of a new moon is sighted. Since the Islamic lunar calendar year is 11 to 12 days shorter than the solar year, Safar migrates throughout the seasons. The estimated start and end dates for Safar are as follows (based on the Umm al-Qura calendar of Saudi Arabia):
|AH||First day (CE / AD)||Last day (CE / AD)|
|1431||16 January 2010||14 February 2010|
|1432||5 January 2011||3 February 2011|
|1433||26 December 2011||23 January 2012|
|1434||14 December 2012||12 January 2013|
|1435||4 December 2013||1 January 2014|
|1436||23 November 2014||22 December 2014|
|1437||13 November 2015||11 December 2015|
|Safar dates between 2010 and 2015|
- 01 Safar, prisoners of Karbalā entered Yazid's Palace in Syria
- 06 Safar, martyrdom of Sukayna bint Husayn, youngest daughter of Hussain ibn Ali and a prisoner of Karbalā
- 13 Safar, death of Sukayna bint Husayn, youngest daughter of Hussain ibn Ali and a prisoner of Karbalā
- 23 Safar, Birth of Imam Baqir
- 27 Safar, Migration (Hijrah)from Makkah to Madinah by Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW)
- 28 Safar, death and martyedom of Sayyiduna Imam Hasan ibn Ali|Hasan ibn ‘Alī]] grandson of Prophet Muhammad (saw) and 5th Caliph of Islam
- Islamic-Western Calendar Converter (Based on the Arithmetical or Tabular Calendar)
- Islamic Calendar / Hijri Calendar for Makkah
- Safar also refers to Safar: Youth Mobility Fund