Sagamore of the Wabash
The Sagamore of the Wabash is an honorary award created by the state of Indiana during the term of Governor Ralph F. Gates (1945 to 1949). A tri-state meeting was to be held in Louisville with officials from Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky. Aides to Gates learned that the governor of Kentucky was preparing "Kentucky Colonel" certificates for Gates and Senator Robert A. Taft, who was representing Ohio. The Indiana delegation decided to create an appropriate award to present in return.
The term sagamore was the term used by Algonquian-speaking American Indian tribes of the northeastern United States for the tribal chiefs. The Wabash is the "State River" of Indiana and major tributary of the Ohio River. Each governor since Gates has presented the certificates in his own way. Until 2006, the award was the highest honor which the Governor of Indiana bestows, a personal tribute usually given to those who rendered distinguished service to the state or to the governor.
Among those who have received Sagamores have been astronauts, presidents, ambassadors, artists, musicians, politicians, and citizens who have contributed greatly to "Hoosier" heritage. The Sagamore award has been conferred upon both men and women. There is no official record of the total number presented, as each governor has kept his own roll; just as each has reserved the right to personally select the recipients. Some individuals have received the award more than once; for example, Indiana University chancellor Herman B Wells was so honored six times.
Recipients of the Sagamore of the Wabash Award
The Sagamore of the Wabash Award does not have an official list of the number of Sagamore of the Wabash awards presented, but below is a partial list of notable recipients and the year they received the award:
- Ryan White, 1987 by Gov. Robert Orr
- Robert Sheldon (R. Sheldon) Duecker, 1988 by Gov. Robert Orr; ordained elder and bishop of The United Methodist Church
- Mary Jane Barker Beaman Phillippe, 1991 by Gov. Evan Bayh & 1999 by Gov. Frank O’Bannon; lobbyist and social activist
- Eugene "Gene" Gigli, 1993 by Gov. Evan Bayh; Vietnam Veteran and Civil Servant of Indianapolis, Indiana
- Len Clark, 1996 by Gov. Evan Bayh; contribution to broadcasting
- Dennis "Red" Bateman, 1998 by Gov. Frank O’Bannon; Department of Labor, Bureau of Apprenticeship - Training and US Navy Veteran
- Ellsworth Perin Scott of Madison Indiana, 2001 by Gov. Frank O’Bannon
- Dorothy Runk Mennen, 2003
- Herbert A. Pigman, 2003 by Gov. Frank O’Bannon; Rotary International General Secretary (1979-1986, 1993-1995)
- David B. Becker, 2004 by Gov. Joe Kernan; founder, President, and CEO of First Internet Bank
- Richard T. Doermer, 2004 by Gov. Joe Kernan
- Thomas McDermott, Jr., 2005; Democratic Mayor of Hammond, Indiana (2004–Present)
- Dr. Mike Schatzlein, MD, MBA, 2010 by Gov. Mitch Daniels
- Vicci Baker, 2013 by Gov. Mitch Daniels[unreliable source?]
- 2005: John Wooden, former Purdue University basketball player
- 2006: Theodore Hesburgh, former president of the University of Notre Dame
- 2007: Jane Blaffer Owen, in recognition of her philanthropic efforts in historic preservation and the arts
- 2008: Bill Gaither and Gloria Gaither, musicians
- 2009: Donald C. "Danny" Danielson, New Castle business and civic leader
- 2010: Carl Erskine, former Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers baseball player
- 2012: Ian M. Rolland, former chairman and CEO of Lincoln National Corp.
- 2013: Don Wolf, former President and CEO of Do-It Best Corporation based in Fort Wayne, IN 
Contents of the award
When a Sagamore of the Wabash is given to a recipient it is accompanied by other artifacts. It's uncertain if the contents of the award vary by year or by recipient. The gallery below shows the contents of a specific award given on January 9, 2005.
- Indianapolis Monthly, September 2004, Page 143
- obituary , accessed 28 Oct 2011
- "Mary jane Barker Beaman Phillippe of Greenwood" Zionsville Times Sentinel, October , 2010 accessed April 11, 2011
- Eugene Gigli Obituary at The Scranton Times, 11.August 2011 Retrieved 17.August 2013
- "The Environment Report: Staff & Producers" The Environment Report, accessed April 11, 2011
- (http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nwitimes/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=143964747#fbLoggedOut)"NWI.com", Obituaries July 2010
- McCollum, Konnie "Scout for Life" RoundAbout Madison, Feb, 2008 accessed April 11, 2011
- Derr, Joseph. The Roterian. Rotary International, April 2003, p. 49.
- "Herbert A. Pigman" Rotary Global History Fellowship, accessed April 11, 2011
- "Doermer School of Business: About Richard T. Doermer" IPFW.edu, accessed April 11, 2011
- "Lake County Democratic Central Committee: Thomas McDermott - Chairman" Lake County Democratic Central Committee, accessed April 11, 2011
- "Mike Schatzlein Receives State's Highest Honor" Lutheran Health Network, June 17, 2010 accessed April 10, 2011
- "Indiana Gov. Mike Pence names Cummins’ Vicci Baker a Sagamore of the Wabash, one of the top awards a governor can bestow"Cummins, accessed July 13, 2013
- Jankowski, Jane "Wooden first honoree for new award created by Governor Daniels" Governor Daniels Press Release, March 3, 2006 accessed April 10, 2011