Saginaw High School
The school's mission statement is "Saginaw High is committed to ensuring a safe and academic environment where the students will become academically proficient, life long [sic] learners, and productive citizens."
The school was established in 1865 as East Side High School. Alice Freeman Palmer, who later became President of Wellesley College, was principal of the school from 1877 to 1879.In early 2014, there was some debate about closing the school. Many people disliked the idea and instead offered a 8th through 12th grade starting fall of 2014.
Athletics and special activities
Saginaw High has won multiple state championships in basketball. Their most recent state championship victory came in 2012 with a 54-42 win over the Rockford Rams capping a 26-2 season lead by Travontis Richardson and Kevin Marshall Jr. They defeated the Huskies of Detroit Redford to claim the 2007 Class A state championship, the first of back to back state championship teams led by current NBA player, Draymond Green. The Trojans then repeated in 2008, beating the Detroit Pershing Doughboys, to capture another Class A state championship title. Saginaw has also won championships in 1946, 1962, 1964, and 1996. It has been a hot recruiting ground for local colleges such as Michigan State University
Saginaw girls' basketball won the state championship in 1986. Alumni include former Michigan State University basketball player Annette Babers and former [Howard University} Kayette Jones.
Saginaw won the Michigan Division 2 state championship in 1999. The program has endured rough times lately. The program has produced NFL players such as Terry McDaniel, LaMarr Woodley, Charles Rogers, Roy Manning, and Charleston Hughes.
The Mighty Marchin' Trojan Band, led by band director Ms. Jeannine Coughlin, is a highlight of the school, winning awards from Howard University among others. They march in a traditional African-American university or urban style. They've also won many awards across the country, and is also known for the opening entertainment for the 2006 Ryder's Cup. The Mighty Marchin' Trojan Band has also been invited to the thanksgiving day parade in Miami Florida, and Even participated in the 2012 Sugar Bowl Halftime.
- Gary Bond, former wide receiver for Central Michigan University and sports writer for The Grand Rapids Press.
- Seve Bradley, former Oklahoma Panhandle State University quarterback.
- Bob Buhl, former MLB player (Milwaukee Braves, Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia Phillies)
- Draymond Green, NBA player for the Golden State Warriors
- Darvin Ham, played for the Detroit Pistons.
- Charleston Hughes, CFL player for the Calgary Stampeders.
- Oliver King, former lineman University of Illinois.
- Tony Martin, former NFL running back.
- Roy Manning, former NFL player and current assistant coach at the Michigan Wolverines Football
- Stacy Erwin Oakes, current State Representative, Michigan House of Representatives, 95th District.
- Deronnie Pitts, former Stanford football player.
- Anthony Roberson, former NBA player, currently plays for Chinese team, Fujian Xunxing.
- Charles Rogers, former NFL wide receiver.
- LaMarr Woodley, current NFL player for Pittsburgh Steelers.
- Eugene Seals, former Miami of Ohio Basketball player.
- Annette Babers, High School All-Stater and All-American, Former Michigan State University Basketball Player, Member of the Saginaw County Hall of Fame.
- Erinn Reed, 4-time All-Stater, 3-time All-American, 1992 Michigan Miss Basketball, Former University of Kansas Basketball player
Terry McDaniel College: Tennessee NFL Draft: 1988 / Round: 1 / Pick: 9 Debuted in 1988 Last played in 1998 Los Angeles / Oakland Raiders (1988-1997) Seattle Seahawks (1998) 5× Pro Bowl selection (1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996) 4× All-Pro selection (1992, 1993, 1994, 1995) All-SEC (1987) 35 Career Interceptions 667 Interception Return 6 career Return TD