|This article does not cite any references or sources. (December 2006)|
|Looney Tunes (Bugs Bunny) series|
"When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!"
|Directed by||I. Freleng|
|Produced by||Edward Selzer|
|Story by||Warren Foster|
|Voices by||Mel Blanc|
|Music by||Milt Franklyn|
|Animation by||Gerry Chiniquy
|Layouts by||Hawley Pratt|
|Backgrounds by||Irv Wyner|
|Studio||Warner Bros. Cartoons|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures
The Vitaphone Corporation
|Release date(s)||March 26, 1955 (USA)|
|Running time||7 minutes|
This is another classic battle between Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam (Riff Raff Sam). Bugs pops up out from underground, thinking he has reached Miami Beach, when in reality he is in the Sahara Desert, presumably from not making "that left toin at Albukoike". He comes prepared with a beach chair, sunscreen, sunglasses and even a bucket of carrots. Bugs thinks he has found a nice park when he stumbles upon a water hole and a palm tree. (Much of this scene reuses animation from Frigid Hare.)
Meanwhile, Sam, riding on a camel, suddenly comes upon Bugs' tracks and exclaims: "Great horny toads! A trespasser, gettin' footy-prints all over my desert!" Sam orders the camel to move after the foot-prints and then orders it to slow down screaming "Whoa camel whoa!! Whoa!! WHOA!!!! Oh come on whoa! When I say "Whoa!" I mean "WHOA!"", whacking it on the head with his rifle and knocking it out. As Sam scolds the camel for not slowing down, Bugs grabs Sam's keffiyeh and uses it to dry himself. Bugs then asks Sam his catchphrase "Eeehhh...what's up doc?" Sam angrily retorts "I am not a doc ya fleabitten varmint! I am Riff-Raff Sam the riffiest riff that ever riffed a raff!"
Bugs flees and Sam orders his camel to follow Bugs, but it does not run until Sam yells "When I say 'giddy-up' I mean 'GIDDY-UP!' and whacks it in the posterior. Sam runs after the camel and orders it to slow down repeating his "Whoa" phrase before hitting it in the head with the rifle once again: "And when I say 'whoa' I mean WHOA!. Bugs flees into a deserted French army base.
Sam orders Bugs to surrender and open the door but Bugs throws open the door when Sam is in its' way. The door crushes Sam and when Sam screams for Bugs to close it, it closes to reveal a flattened raging Sam. Sam then tries various methods to getting in the fort that all fail:
- Sam tries to pole-vault into the fort but he ends up hitting a castle tower which shatters out its opposite side leaving an imprint in the shape of Sam's body.
- Sam tries to saw out a brick in the gate to get entrance into the fort but Bugs puts a cannon in the hole; when Sam tries to put the brick back in Bugs fires pushing Sam across the desert, smashing through a tree and leaving a scar on some sandy hills from where Sam was shoved through.
- Sam uses an elephant to try to force his way into the fort but Bugs sets a toy mouse and lets it through the door. When the elephant sees the mouse it gets scared and uses Sam to swat it before fleeing; leaving an injured and dizzy Sam behind.
- Sam tries to sling-shot himself into the fort but first he hits a tree and slides off it. Sam then chops down the tree with a fire-ax and tries again but hits another tree next to the dead tree before sliding off again.
- Sam puts a long board of wood on the fort gate's side and tries to climb it. Bugs, waiting at the top, uses a fire-ax to chop the wood in two bits; when the wood falls in two bits, Sam is revealed to have magically been chopped in two also.
Eventually Bugs sets up a trap where in an entrance to the fort, Sam must open several doors to get into the fort; Bugs sets the final door with bombs so that if Sam tries to open it the explosives will detonate. As Sam continues to open all doors Bugs walks off. He then stops, turns around and asks "I wonder if he's stubborn enough to open all those doors?". Immediately afterwards a large explosion occurs. Bugs then says "Yep. He's stubborn enough." and continues walking away.
A hole then opens up on the ground. Similar to Bugs' arrival a beach chair, an umbrella and a bucket of ice come flying out of the hole. Daffy Duck then jumps out of the hole. Like Bugs in the beginning Daffy thinks he has arrived at Miami Beach and enthusiastically runs toward the non-existent ocean. Bugs tries to tell Daffy that he is not at Miami Beach, but Daffy ignores him. Bugs gives up and says, "Eh, let him find out for himself.".
When the short aired on ABC, the scenes where Yosemite Sam hits his camel on the head with his gun for disobeying a direct order to stop were edited out in order to make the short suitable for younger viewers.
- List of Bugs Bunny cartoons
- List of Yosemite Sam cartoons
- Rif, a mainly mountainous region of northern Morocco
|Bugs Bunny Cartoons