Sahara India Pariwar
|Type||Privately held company|
|Founded||1978 (Gorakhpur, India)|
|Founder(s)||Subrata Roy Sahara|
|Key people||Subrata Roy Sahara (Chairman)|
IT Services & Outsourcing
|Revenue||730 billion (2011)|
Sahara India Pariwar is an Indian conglomerate headquartered in Lucknow, India with business interests in finance, infrastructure & housing, media & entertainment, consumer merchandise retail venture, manufacturing and information technology. The company has a market capitalisation of US$25.94 billion as of March 2011. The group is a major promoter of sports in India and is the main sponsor of the Indian cricket Team. The company owns a 42.5% stake in Formula One's Force India Formula 1 Team and also sponsors India national field hockey team.
Sahara India Real Estate Company and the Sahara Housing Investment Corporation, subsidiaries of the conglomerate, buy and develop land for residential housing projects across India. The company has projects in Kanpur, Lucknow, Gorakhpur, Hyderabad, Bhopal, Kochi, Gurgaon and Pune. Sahara has a collaboration with Turner Construction, an Ameridan building company, in some of its projects.
Sahara owns several professional sports teams in India in a variety of sports. In badminton, it owns the Awadhe Warriors of Lucknow, one of six teams in the Indian Badminton League'. In cricket, it owns the Pune Warriors India, a franchise team that plays in the Indian Premier League (IPL),. Sahara owns the Formula One team Sahara Force India. 
The company launched a polo team, the Sahara Warriors Polo Team in 2012. In July 2012, Sahara India Praiser picked up the Lucknow franchise of the Hockey India League (HIL), the Uttar Pradesh Wizards.
Sahara sponsors numerous sporting activities. The Sahara Sports Awards is an annual sports award provided each year to the best Indian sport stars of various sports. Sahara also sponsors the IPL Awards. The company has held the sponsorship rights for the Indian Cricket Team since 2001. The company also sponsors the India men's national field hockey team, India national women's cricket team, India women's national field hockey team, Bangladesh cricket team and the Sri Lanka cricket team. The company was a sponsor of the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
Media and Entertainment
The group owns a national Hindi News Channel Samay and 36 city specific regional news channels Sahara Samay. It also owns Sahara One- A General entertainment channel, Filmy- A Hindi movie channel, and Firangi- An entertainment channel. Sahara Samay received the "Broadcast Engineering Excellence Award" in 2008 for its network newsroom technology.
The group owns publishes and sells one magazine in English, 7 editions of Hindi Daily Newspaper Rashtriya Sahara, nine editions of Urdu Daily Newspaper Roznama Rashtriya Sahara and one International Urdu Weekly, Aalmi Sahara
Sahara produces, markets, and distributes Hindi and other regional language films. Well known films produced by the company include Bewafaa, Page 3, Sarkar, No Entry, Wanted. In September 2010, the company was in talks to acquire MGM Studios, but the deal collapsed. Sahara is willing to try again to take over MGM.
In India, the group owns the "Sahara Star" hotel near Mumbai's Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport.
Sahara has interests in insurance and asset management. Sahara India Life Insurance Company Ltd. SILICL), is a Life Insurance Company in the private sector. Sahara Asset Management Company Pvt. Ltd. manages 16 equity and debt Mutual Funds. Sahara Banking & Financial Services Fund has been adjudged the Best Performing Banking Sector Fund over a 3-year Performance by the International Agency "Lippers".
Other financial activities associated with the company have come under significant legal scrutiny, including a savings program with the stated intention of selling savings products to the poor, which government officials claim may be exploiting it's customers.
On 13 August 2012, Sahara India announced the opening of their retail FMCG business named 'Q shop' (Quality shop) with an initial investment of Rs. 30 billion. Sahara also announced the hire of 600,000 sales personnel and 3000 customer care executives. At its launch, Subrata Roy said that Sahara had been planning for this venture for the last two years and was opening 'Q shops' in major cities across the country to provide adulteration-free consumer merchandise including processed food and beverages to buyers. The group said it would set up 305 warehouses in 285 cities in a phased manner.
Sahara Power has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the Government of Orissa for setting up a 1320 MW (2 x 660) Coal Based Thermal Power Plant in Turla Tehsil of Balangir District, Orissa at an investment of about Rs. 56.04 billion. Sahara India Power Corporation Limited has also proposed to set up a 2000 MW Coal based power plants in Jharkhand and Chhattisgarh at an estimated investment of Rs. 80 billion. each.
The group owns a hospital in Lucknow. The hospital was opened in 2009. This hospital got operational in February 2009 and is currently operating with approximately 350 beds, including 120 bed Critical Care Infrastructure and expandable to 554 beds.
Under the name "Sahara Next", the company offers Information Technology consulting services in banking, finance, media and entertainment, chemicals and CRM.
The group owned an airline, Air Sahara, which it sold to Jet Airways in 2007. Under the name "Sahara Global", it offers integrated travel and tourism services for domestic as well as international customers.
The Sahara Welfare Foundation, the social development unit of Sahara India Pariwar, runs social welfare projects. The company assisted the families of Indian soldiers killed in the Kargil war with a commitment of 500 million (USD 10.65 million )  The company also assisted families whose homes were damaged in the 2006 Gujarat earthquake. Other welfare activities include water purification systems and education resource systems in Indian villages. 
Guinness World records
- Sahara holds the record for the most people singing a national anthem simultaneously. 121,653 employees of the company sang India' national anthem on 8 May 2013 in Lucknow, India.
- Sahara India Pariwar’s Sahara Q Shop Entered into the Guinness World Records when it opened record 315 outlets in 10 states of India, just at one time on 1 April 2013
- Financial Statement of the Group
- "Owner of Pune Warriors runs Sahara India Pariwar as managing worker". THE AUSTRALIAN. 6 May 2010. Retrieved 12 September 2011.
- "Subrata Roy Sahara". Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Retrieved 12 September 2011.
- Sahara Group enters real estate, The Economic Times, 5 February 2008
- THE GOOD LIFE, INDIA TODAY, 15 February 2008
- Sahara launches construction JV with Turner, rel="nofollow",REUTERS, 9 February 2012
- Sahara buys IBL's Lucknow franchise, The Times of India, 16 July 2013
- 2 New IPL Team, The Times of India, 22 March 2010
- "Sahara Group takes 42.5% stake in Force India Formula One team". The Guardian (The Guardian). 12 October 2011. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "Sahara buys 42% stake in Mallya's Force India F1 team". The Times of India (The Times Group). 12 October 2011. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
- "Sahara India Pariwar launches Polo team Sahara Warriors". 22November2012.
- "Sahara to own hockey franchise". 24 July 2012.
- Sahara to continue as Indian team sponsor, ESPNcricinfo, 31 May 2010
- Samay bags international honour, The Economic Times, 6 April 2005
- Sahara plans three weekly newspapers, Rediff.com, 1 February 2003
- Sahara One Motion Pictures – a banner in the right direction, IndiaGlitz.com,5 September 2006
- Indian Congolomerate In Talks About MGM Bid, Reuters, 18 September 2010
- Sahara Says MGM Studio Creditors Reject $2 Billion Bid, Google, 24 September 2010
- Sahara Still Committed to Finalizing MGM Bid, The Hollywood Reporter, 29 September 2010
- "Sahara checks into iconic New York hotel". Hindustan Times. 31 July 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Sahara buys UK hotel for Rs 3,275cr, The Times of India, 31 December 2010
- India Shadow Banker Fights to Keep Empire Built on Poor, "Bloomberg.com", 2 December 2013
- Sahara enters retail, to launch 800 'Q' Shops, Business Today, 16 August 2012
- Sahara in Rs. 3,000-cr ‘Q Shop’ retail foray, Hindustan Times, 13 August 2012
- Sahara Q shop makes it to the Guinness World Records, Deccan Chronical, 17 April 2013
- Nawabi Entry in Healthcare, Express Healthcare, 1 April 2009
- Sahara Global launches travel show
- Sahara Global launches 'Celebrate Life'
- Sahara to put in Rs1000 crore in welfare foundation, DNA, 5 February 2012
- Sahara Welfare Foundation, Sahara India
- , Sahara Welfare Foundation
- Sahara to pay martyrs' families 5 times salary for 10 yrs , The Indian Express
- Sahara will pay salaries of Mumbai martyrs , The Economic Times
- Sahara to pay martyrs' families , DNA
- Sahara India to adopt 1,000 villages for all round development , The Economic Times, 10 June 2013
- flags off prog to adopt 1,000 villages, The Economic Times, 12 June 2013
- Subrata Roy Sahara Announced to Adopt 1000 Villages in 7 States Under CSR , India CSR, 1 April 2013
- Sahara's national anthem feat gets Guinness honour, The Times of India, 7 May 2013