'Sahni' or 'Sawhney' is a Hindu surname. They belong to the Khukhrain sub-caste of Punjabi Khatris. The https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khukhrain comprise of 8 clans who originally belonged to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sind_Sagar_Doab (Indus-Jhelum interfluve) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jech_Doab (Jhelum-Chenab interfluve) region which mainly comprised that comprised Khushab, Pindi Gheb, Talagang, Chakwal, Mitihali, Nara, Pind Dadan Khan, Peshawar and Nowsherain in Undivided India which is now a part of Pakistan. After the Partition of India in 1947 they spread out all over India and also overseas.
While overall the clan has been enterprising some noted personalities are :-
- Ajai Sahni, an author and expert on counter-terrorism
- Baljit Sahni (born 1987), an Indian football player
- Balraj Sahni (1913–1973), a Hindi film actor
- Bhisham Sahni (1915–2003), a Hindi writer, playwright, and actor
- Birbal Sahni, FRS (1891–1949), an Indian paleobotanist
- Jaideep Sahni (born 1974), an Indian screenwriter, songwriter, and film producer
- Mahendra Sahni, an Indian politician
- Parikshit Sahni, an Indian film and television actor
- Pritam Singh Sahni, also known by his pen name Kasad, a renowned Punjabi poet
- Sartaj Sahni, a US-based computer scientist
- S K Sahni, a retired Indian Army lieutenant-general
- Nitin Sawhney Britis Indian musician and composer
- Mohanbir Sawhney Professor at Kellogg School of Management famous for his Let's Get Vertical theory.
- Sahni, Punjab, a village near Lakhpur, India
Sahani belongs to Kshatriya Sahani mostly found in North India.