Sahu Ramesh Chandra Jain
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. (May 2009)|
|Sahu Ramesh Chandra Jain|
15 August 1925|
|Died||22 September 2004
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology (BHU) Varanasi|
|Years active||1951 – 2004|
|Children||Akhilesh Jain, Shailesh Jain|
Sahu Ramesh Chandra Jain (15 August 1925 - 22 September 2004) was a leading mediaperson, philanthropist, promoter of Indian literature and leader of the worldwide Jain community. He is a descendant of the well known Sahu Jain family of Najibabad (Bijnor District, Uttar Pradesh).
He was born on 15 August 1925. His great grandfather, Sahu Salekh Chand Jain, was a wealthy businessman who possessed a religious and charitable character. His grandfather was Shri Mussadi Lal. His father, Rao Bahadur Jugmundar Das, was a leading businessman and landlord in the North Indian state of Uttar Pradesh and was even honoured by the British. He had his earlier education in Najibabad from where he moved on to study B.Sc. (Industrial Chemistry) at Benaras Hindu University (now known as Indian Institute of Technology (BHU) Varanasi).
Working with Times Group
In 1960 he came to Delhi on the insistence of his uncle Sahu Shanti Prasad Jain and joined the Times Group. He went on to become the Executive Director of Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. and was the only person to edit both The Times of India and Navbharat Times for many years. He was also the Chairman of Press Trust of India and the Indian Newspaper Society.
A leader of the Jain community, he was revered for his philanthropic nature and devoted services to the cause of Jain religion and society. He was National President of All India Digambar Jain Holy Places Committee and the All India Digambar Jain Parishad, which was founded by his great grandfather.
He died on 22 September 2004.
He was associated with various organisations in different capacities:
- Chairman, Municipal Board, Najibabad, U.P.(1952–55)
- Managing Trustee, Bharatiya Jnanpith
- Chairman, Indian Institute of Mass Communications, New Delhi
- Chairman, S.P. Jain Advanced Management Research Centre, University of Delhi;
- President, International Chrysanthemum Council.
- President, Chrysanthemum Society of India & Delhi Dahlia Society.
- Member, Board Of Governors of IIT, New Delhi
- Member, Board of Governors Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal.
- President, Sahu Jain P.G. College, Rama Jain Kanya Mahavidyalaya, M.D. Kanya Vidyalaya Girls College, Moorti Devi Saraswati Inter College
- President, Mahavir Vishwa Vidyapeeth, New Delhi.
- Times Research Foundation, Times Eye Research Foundation, Jainology Research Institute, Lucknow; Kund Kund Bharati Prakrit Academy, Delhi; Times Centre for Media Studies and The Times of India Relief Fund.
- Honorary D.Lit by the Bundelkhand University, Jhansi
- Honor of Vidya Vachaspati by Gurukul Kangri University.