Sai Sai Kham Leng
|Sai Sai Kham Leng
Sai Sai at the Myanmar music concert in Singapore in 2011.
10 April 1979 |
Taunggyi, Shan State, Myanmar (Burma)
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, songwriter, actor, model|
Sai Sai Kham Leng (Burmese: စိုင်းစိုင်းခမ်းလှိုင်; pronounced: [sáiɴ sáiɴ kʰáɴ l̥àiɴ]; also Sai Sai Kham Hlaing; born 10 April 1979) is a well-known Burmese rapper, songwriter, model, novelist, and actor of ethnic Shan descent. He is best known for his hip hop music.
Sai Sai Kham Leng was born on 10 April 1979 in Taunggyi to Cho Cho San Tun and Kham Leng of an ethnic Shan aristocratic family. His great-grandfather Sao San Tun, Saopha of Mongpawng, was a signatory to the 1947 Panglong Agreement that was the basis for the formation of modern Myanmar, and one of nine senior government officials assassinated on 19 July 1947. The day of the assassination is commemorated each year as the Martyrs' Day in Myanmar. He is the eldest son and has two younger sisters and a younger brother. Soon after he was born, his parents moved to nearby Aungban for two years before moving back to Taunggyi. He went to B.E.H.S (1) Taunggyi. His parents divorced when he was got to 4th standard. He was living in two houses soon after the divorce but ended up with his father. He would not see his mother for another six years.
Sai Sai attributes his interest in music to his father. He grew up listening to songs by Sai Htee Saing and Aung Yin that his father listened to on a "small mono cassette player". Sai Htee Saing and his father were friends. But it was after his parents' divorce that Sai Sai earnestly took up music. His father bought him a guitar at 5th standard, and he learned to play it by 6th standard. Sai Sai became a judo player at eighth standard. He won district level competitions in high school, and even competed in national youth competitions in Yangon.
Sai Sai came to Yangon and enrolled in Dagon University as an English major. He received his bachelor's degree in English from Dagon University and a graduate diploma in English from the University of Foreign Languages, Yangon. His mother lives in Australia and his father died in 2006.
Like most children of well-to-do families in Myanmar, Sai Sai entered the Myanmar entertainment industry through connections and self-financing. At Yangon, Sai Sai first tried to modeling but could not get any jobs. He then tried a role in a direct-to-video movie that he and four other friends self-financed in 2000. In the same year, he launched his debut album Chocolate Yaung Yayge Einmet (Chocolate-Colored Ice Dreams). The followed-up album Thangegyin Mya Zwa (Graduation: Friends Forever) released in 2001 made him a household name.
In his 2012 album Date Date Kyal, he included a song named "ပြီးခဲ့သောဇာတ်လမ်းအကျဉ်း" (Summary of the story till now) about his 33 years of his life. He celebrates his Birthday shows in April every year, gaining thousands of ticket sales which is a large number in Myanmar. He has celebrated 10 shows from 2004 to 2014 so far.
Sai Sai is still single, and lives in Yangon. In a May 2009 interview with People Magazine Myanmar, he expressed that he was unsure about marriage as he comes from a "broken family".
- "ချောကလက်ရောင် ရေခဲအိပ်မက်" Chocolate Yaung Yayge Einmet (Chocolate-Coloured Icy Dreams) (2000)
- "သူငယ်ချင်း များစွာ" Thangegyin Mya Zwa (Friends) (2001)
- "ဖေဖော်ဝါရီ မှတ်တမ်း" February Mhattan  (February Diary) (2003)
- Sai Sai Live Show (2004)
- "စိုင်းစိုင်း ဟု ခေါ်သည်" Sai Sai Hu Khaw Thi (It is Called Sai Sai) (2005)
- Happy Sai Sai Birthday  (2007)
- "အမြဲတမ်း ဂေါ်လီ" Ever Golli(Always Vagrant)  (2009)
- "ဒိတ်ဒိတ်ကြဲ" Date Date Kye(Awesome)  (2012)
- "ပြန်ပြောပြဖို့ တော်တော်ခက်လိမ့်မယ်" Pyan Pyaw Pya Bo Tawtaw Khet Leit Me (Would Be Quite Difficult to Argue) (2002)
- "မိန်းမ" Meinma (Woman) (2002)
- "အချစ်များစွာအတွက်" A-Chit Mya Zwa A Twet (For All My Love) (2002)
- "ဘဝ ဘဝ" Bawa Bawa(Life Life) (2003)
- "နတ်သမီးပုံပြင်" Natthami Ponbyin(Fariy tale) (2004)
- Rock & Rap Live Show (2006)
- "အလွမ်းရဲ့ ည" A-Lwan Ye Nya (Night of Missing) (2006)
- "အရင်လို စိတ်မချလို့ပါ ရှင်ရယ်" A Yin Lo Seit Ma Cha Lo Ba Shin (Because I Can't Trust Anymore Like Before) (2006)
- Angel (2006)
- "၁၀ စက္ကန့်" 10 Seconds  (2007)
- "စက္ကူငှက်" Sekk-ku Nget (Paper cranes)
- "ကံကိုဆွဲ၍ မှုန်းသီချယ် မင်ရည်ကျဲ၏ မကျဲ၏" Kan Ko Swel Ywe Hmone Tee Chel..Min Yay Kywl Ei Ma Kyal Ei (We Draw Life By Fortune .. May be bold or not)
In 2014, there are several celebrities signing a petition to change a part of the constitution. He wrote on his official Facebook that he has only one small brain and one body, so he don't want to be responsible for many things, hinting that he is not interested in Politics. Netizens assume that he was referring to signing the petition but the intention of that post was unclear and later deleted after it was shared on Facebook page of Irrawaddy News. Film director Kyi Phyu Shin stated that she also has one small brain and one body but she will sign on the petition and be responsible for many things, clearly dissing him. Despite controversies, he signed on the petition.
- Thida Win (2010-03-05). "Sai Sai Kham Leng's Youth". Bi-Weekly Eleven Journal (in Burmese) (Weekly Eleven Media): 34.
- Tin Naing Toe (18 July 2010). "Brief Biographies of the Martyrs". Bi-Weekly Eleven (in Burmese) (Weekly Eleven Publishing Group).
- Myanmar Celebrity (2013-10-25). "A moment with Sai Sai Kham Leng". Myanmar Celebrity (in Burmese) (Myanmar Celebrity Youtube Channel).
- Hnin Ei Ei Aung (May 2009). "25 Random Facts about Sai Sai". People Magazine Myanmar (in Burmese).
- "Did Than Shwe’s Grandson Kidnap Model?". .irrawaddy.org. 2009-01-08. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- "Wutt Hmone and Pyae Phyo Tayza's Couple Photos Leak Out - Myanmar Celebrity: Gossip, News, Video, Photo, Fashion, Entertainment". Myanmar Celebrity. 2011-06-05. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- "ေဖေဖာ္ဝါရီမွတ္တမ္း | Sai Sai Kham Hlaing". Myanmar Music Store. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- "Happy Sai Sai Birthday | Sai Sai Kham Hlaing". Myanmar Music Store. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- "အၿမဲတမ္းေဂၚလီ | Sai Sai Kham Hlaing". Myanmar Music Store. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- "ဒိတ္ဒိတ္ႀကဲ | Sai Sai Kham Hlaing". Myanmar Music Store. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- "၁၀ စကၠန္႔ Volume (2)". Myanmar Music Store. Retrieved 2014-07-19.
- "ေဖ့စ္ဘြတ္ခ္အေကာင့္ ပိတ္ပစ္လိုက္တဲ့ စိုင္းစိုင္း | 7Day Daily - ၇ ရက္ ေန႔စဥ္ သတင္းစာ". 7Day Daily. 2014-05-31. Retrieved 2014-07-19.