Sai Ying Pun Station
|Hong Kong MTR rapid transit station|
Future exit A2 on Des Voeux Road West
Location of Sai Ying Pun Station in Hong Kong
|Station location and services|
|Line||█ Island Line|
|District||Central and Western|
|Area||Sai Ying Pun|
|Type of platforms||Island|
|Expected open||End of December 2014 or 1st quarter of 2015|
|Sai Ying Pun Station|
Sai Ying Pun is a station on the Hong Kong MTR Island Line which is currently under construction. It will serve the neighbourhood of Sai Ying Pun and the western part of Mid-Levels in northwestern Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong.
Under the current proposal, Sai Ying Pun will serve as an intermediate station on the extension of the Island line known as the West Island Line, as opposed to a transfer station to another line serving the Southern District with the same name as in previous plans.
Plans for the station first appeared in Hong Kong Mass Transit: Further Studies in 1970. It was to be built as part of the Island Line in the 1980s, but construction of the line did not commence westwards beyond Sheung Wan, due to inadequate forecast passenger numbers and technical difficulties identified by contractors.
In Outline Zoning Plan No. S/H3/20, the Planning Department of the government has indicated one possible location under Des Voeux Road West at Ko Shing Street as of December 2003. A ventilation shaft marked with MTR notices can be found at the intersection. A large void facing Des Voeux Road West, sealed, can also be found at a nearby medical centre, which some have speculated that it was reserved for a to-be-built exit. These findings suggest that this was the original proposed location.
In March 2004, the MTR moved the station back east but south of the initial alignment under King George V Memorial Park. Source from MTR Corporation Limited (MTRCL) revealed to the local newspaper Ming Pao that this location was chosen to avoid any nuisance during works under major roads. The location would also better suit the needs of Mid-Levels residents, the source said.
Design and Construction
The MTR Corporation let out a tender for the construction of the Sai Ying Pun and University Stations and 2.2 km of tunnel. In 2009 the design and architecture work was awarded to Aedas in joint venture of AECOM. In March 2010 it was awarded to a Joint Venture of Gammon Construction and Nishimatsu Construction for HK$4.7 billion. Construction commenced in 2010 and is expected to be complete by 2014. Other elements of the construction include demolition of the Centre Street cooked food centre, the Ki Ling Lane children's playground, and Whitty Street Public Toilet.
Station layout (future)
|C||Concourse||Customer Service, MTRShops|
|Platform 1||→ █ Island Line towards Chai Wan (Sheung Wan) →|
|Island platform, doors will open on the right|
|Platform 2||← █ Island Line towards Kennedy Town (HKU)|
- A1: Queen's Road West (near Sai Woo Lane)
- A2: Des Voeux Road West (near Health Gate Medical Centre)
- B1: Centre Street Cooked Food Centre
- B2: Centre Street Cooked Food Centre
- B3: Queen's Road West (near Western Street)
- C: Bonham Road (near David Trench Rehabilitation Centre)
- "West Island Line targets to open in December 2014, 90% of works complete". MTR Corporation. 2014-05-29.
- "Spectrum Asia Issue 02/April 2011". AECOM.
- "MTR West Island Line progresses". Railway Gazette International. 31 March 2010. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- "Projects West Island Line Work Progress".
- "West Island Line Construction Progress Update". November 2010. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- Site Plan of Sai Ying Pun Station, West Island Line EIA Reports
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sai Ying Pun (MTR).|
- Notes for Outline Zoning Plan No. S/H3/20 (Planning Department) showing one of the possible locations
- History of West Island Line (Hong Kong West Island Line Concern Group) information about the reserved space (Chinese)