August 17, 1947|
|Detained at||CIA black sites; Bagram; Guantanamo|
|Status||Still held in the Guantanamo camps|
Saifullah Paracha is a citizen of Pakistan currently held in the United States Guantanamo Bay detainment camps, in Cuba. The Department of Defense reports that Paracha was born on August 17, 1947, in Mongwal, Pakistan.
He graduated from a university in Karachi with a degree in physics and attended New York Institute of Technology, studying computer systems analysis.
As of September 12, 2011, Saifullah Paracha has been held at Guantanamo for seven years.
Paracha has 4 children and a wife. Two daughters and two sons, Uzair (29), Muneeza (26), Mustafa (19) and Zahra (16). According to newspaper reports they have faced immense financial problems and have consistently asserted Paracha's innocence.
Combatant Status Review
Saifullah Paracha v. George W. Bush
A writ of habeas corpus, Saifullah Paracha v. George W. Bush, was submitted on Saifullah Paracha's behalf. In response, on 21 December 2004, the Department of Defense published fifty-eight pages of unclassified documents related to his Combatant Status Review Tribunal.
On 8 December 2004 Tribunal panel 24 convened and confirmed Saifullah Paracha's "enemy combatant" status.
On July 12, 2006 the magazine Mother Jones provided excerpts from the transcripts of a selection of the Guantanamo detainees. Paracha was one of the detainees profiled. According to the article his transcript contained the following exchange:
- Tribunal president: I do know you had some questions about the legality of your detention. That would be referred to other organizations of the government, but you will be receiving more specific instructions shortly of how to bring your question to U.S. courts.
- Paracha: Your honor, I have been here 17 months; would that be before I expire?
- Tribunal president: I would certainly hope so, especially since you are under the care of the U.S. government while you are here. As far as some of the other statements you made about jurisdiction, this is a U.S. government executive decision in regards to the detention of enemy combatants….
- Paracha: Your honor, my question is that your executive order is applicable around the earth?
- Tribunal president: It is a global war on terrorism.
- Paracha: I know, sir, but you are not the master of the earth, sir….
- Tribunal president: Would you be surprised to hear that Osama bin Laden founded Al Qaeda and Al Qaeda includes people from all over the world? People from America, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Philippines, and people from wherever?
- Paracha: Sir, how could anybody know who Al Qaeda is?
- Tribunal president:Good question. That’s a very good question.
"Political intervention is the only hope for Saifullah Paracha to receive justice."
Paracha needed heart surgery.
- OARDEC (May 15, 2006). "List of Individuals Detained by the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba from January 2002 through May 15, 2006" (PDF). United States Department of Defense. Retrieved 2007-09-29.
- "Saifullah Paracha - The Guantánamo Docket". The New York Times. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Saifullah Paracha's Background and Family". Retrieved 2007-06-15.
- "US convicts man of al-Qaeda plot". BBC News. November 24, 2005. Retrieved May 23, 2010.
- documents (.pdf) from Saifullah Paracha's Combatant Status Review Tribunal - - mirror pages 1-19
- "Saifullah Paracha v. George W. Bush 04-CV-2022 (PLF)". United States Department of Defense. 8 December 2004. pp. pages 1–58. Retrieved 2008-06-10.
- "Why Am I in Cuba?", Mother Jones (magazine), July 12, 2006
- "Lawyer for Guantanamo inmate urges Pakistan govt help". Agence France Press. June 2, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-02. mirror
- Jan Khaskheli (June 2, 2008). "Pakistanis still languishing in Guantanamo Bay without trial". The News (Pakistan). Retrieved 2008-06-01. mirror
- Joel Seidman (November 20, 2006). "Heart surgery must be at Guantanamo: Court denies Pakistani detainee's request to have procedure done off base". MSNBC. Retrieved 2007-01-12.
- Secret US cables accessed by Dawn through WikiLeaks: Saifullah Paracha’s continued detention at Gitmo a mystery
- Saifullah Paracha Reprieve
- UN Secret Detention Report (Part Two): CIA Prisons in Afghanistan and Iraq Andy Worthington, June 16, 2010
- The Paracha Family: From 1947 till now, a support site