Saint Helena Act 1833
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Long title||An Act for effecting an Arrangement with the East India Company, and for the better Government of His Majesty’s Indian Territories, till the Thirtieth Day of April One thousand eight hundred and fifty-four.|
|Citation||3 & 4 Will 4 c 85|
|Repealed by||Government of India Act 1915 (all except section 112)|
|Revised text of statute as amended|
As this Act was also meant for an extension of the royal charter granted to the company it is also called the Charter Act of 1833. Even this extended the charter by 20 years. It contained the following provisions:
- It redesignated the Governor-General of Bengal as the Governor-General of India. Under this provision Lord William Bentinck became the first Governor-General of India.
- It deprived the Governors of Bombay and Madras of their legislative powers. The Governor-General was given exclusive legislative powers for the whole of British India.
- It ended the activities of the British East India Company as a commercial body and became a purely administrative body. In particular, the Company lost its monopoly on trade with China and other parts of the Far East.
- It attempted to introduce a system of open competitions for the selection of civil servants. However this provision was negated after opposition from the Court of Directors who continued to hold the privilege of appointing Company officials.
- The island of Saint Helena was vested in His Majesty.
- The citation of this Act by this short title was authorised by section 5 of, and Schedule 2 to, the Statute Law Revision Act 1948. Due to the repeal of those provisions, it is now authorised by section 19(2) of the Interpretation Act 1978.
- The citation of this Act by this short title was authorised by section 1 of, and Schedule 1 to, the Short Titles Act 1896. Due to the repeal of those provisions, it is now authorised by section 19(2) of the Interpretation Act 1978.
- Lang, Eugen Maurice (2005) . Codification in the British Empire and America. Lawbook Exchange Ltd. p. 77, footnote 2. ISBN 1-58477-620-X.
- "Saint Helena Act 1833, section 112". UK Statute Law Database. 26 May 2011. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "Saint Helena Act 1833, sections 1–111". UK Statute Law Database. 26 May 2011. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "Saint Helena Act 1833, sections 113–117". UK Statute Law Database. 26 May 2011. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- The Saint Helena Act 1833, as amended, from the UK Statute Law Database.
- Government of India Act 1833 (PDF), from the UK Statute Law Database.