Saint Hill Manor
|Saint Hill Manor|
|Location||Saint Hill Green, near East Grinstead, West Sussex, UK|
|Design and construction|
Saint Hill Manor is a country house at Saint Hill Green, near East Grinstead, West Sussex, United Kingdom. It was constructed in 1792 and had several notable owners before being purchased by L. Ron Hubbard and becoming the head office for the Church of Scientology in the UK.
Saint Hill Manor was built by Gibbs Crawfurd in 1792, situated on 59 acres (239,000 m²) of landscaped gardens overlooking the hills of the Weald. Subsequent owners included Edgar March Crookshank and Mrs. Drexel Biddle, who commissioned the famous Monkey Mural which was painted by John Spencer-Churchill, nephew of Sir Winston Churchill. It was once owned by William Thomas Berger and for many years in the late 1800s served as the England home headquarters of the China Inland Mission. Hudson Taylor and Berger met there often and it was a centre for training recruits for the mission field.
L. Ron Hubbard purchase
Under Hubbard's ownership, the manor was extensively modified, with a series of extensions and new buildings constructed on the estate during the 1960s and 1970s. The largest was a mock-Norman castle built behind the main manor house after 1968 to provide a purpose-built training facility for Scientology students. The development was controversial, with the East Grinstead Urban District Council initially refusing planning permission. After a public enquiry, however, the Church of Scientology was granted permission to go ahead with the construction of "Saint Hill Castle".
- Rolph, C.H. (1973). Believe What You Like: What happened between the Scientologists and the National Association for Mental Health. Andre Deutsch Limited. Chapter 6: Scientologists and the Law I . ISBN 0-233-96375-8.
- Saint Hill Manor - official site (Church of Scientology)
- Aerial photograph of Saint Hill (Multimap.com)
- Advanced Organization & Saint Hill United Kingdom (official home page)
- Saint Hill Manor (AboutBritain.com)
- L. Ron Hubbard when living in Saint Hill (brief biography) A favourable biography from a website with links to Church of Scientology.
- Scientology.org: L. Ron Hubbard A Chronicle (1959 - 1967)
- Official Scientology UK site
- Saint Hill (Jon Atack, A Piece Of Blue Sky, chapter 2)