Saint Paul School of Theology
|Saint Paul School of Theology|
|United Methodist Church|
|Oklahoma City University|
|Location||Overland Park, Kansas, USA
Saint Paul School of Theology is a United Methodist Seminary in Overland Park, Kansas in the Kansas City metropolitan area and is one of 13 seminaries of the United Methodist Church. In addition to the Greater Kansas City campus, Saint Paul School of Theology at Oklahoma City University began offering courses in September 2008. The student body has almost equal numbers of men and women, representing 37 states and several other countries. While most students are United Methodist, over 20 denominations are represented in the student body each year.
Saint Paul School of Theology was one of two schools authorized by the 1956 General Conference of the Methodist Church. Due to the shortage of Methodist pastors in the Midwest, Kansas City was selected as the location. The seminary was chartered in 1958, and the first group of fifty students began classes in 1959.
Saint Paul School of Theology offers four degree programs.
- Master of Divinity Degree (MDiv), a 79-credit hour program that "prepares persons for leadership in the renewal of the church. Students who complete the MDiv degree may enter ordained ministry in parishes, institutional chaplaincy, church-related agencies, or other forms of specialized ministry."
- Master of Arts (Theological Studies) (MATS), a 49-credit hour program that "seeks academic study in religion and theology. The purpose of the MA(TS) is to prepare persons for leadership through a general program of graduate theological studies and an integrated academic concentration, which provides theologically informed leadership on behalf of the church."
- Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (MACM), a 54-credit hour program that "provides theologically informed and competent lay and ordained leaders in specialized ministry for the local church and the church at large."
- Doctor of Ministry (DMin), a 30-credit program that must be completed between 3 and 6 years. "The DMin is the highest degree in professional ministry and seeks to provide advanced level leadership for the church."
Classes are held on three campuses in Kansas City, Oklahoma City, and Springfield, MO.
- Saint Paul School of Theology
- SPST Relocation archived page of campus relocation from Kansas City, Mo to Leawood, KS in the Fall of 2013, retrieved May 2, 2015