Saint Petersburg Police
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2013)|
|Main Department of Internal Affairs of Saint Petersburg
ГУВД СПб и ЛО - полиция Санкт-Петербурга
|Common name||Saint Petersburg Police|
|Abbreviation||GU MVD SPb|
|Motto||служа закону, Служим народу|
|by serving the law, We serve the people|
|Formed||June 7, 1718|
|Preceding agency||Municipal Police|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||City of Saint Petersburg in the oblast of Leningrad, Russia|
|Legal jurisdiction||As per operations jurisdiction.|
|Headquarters||191015, Saint Petersburg, Suvorov Prospect, 50/52|
|Police Officers||3,000 (2010)|
|Head of Internal Affairs of Saint Petersburg responsible||Sergey Umnov, Head of Saint Petersburg Police|
|Agency executive||Georgy Poltavshenko, Saint-Patersburg Governor|
|District Police Departmentss|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
The Saint Petersburg Police (полиция Санкт-Петербурга) is known officially as the Main Administration for Internal Affairs of the City of St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Oblast (in Russian: Главное управление внутренних дел Санкт-Петербурга и Ленинградской области). It is one of the oldest police services in Russia and is considered one of the best police departments in the country outside Moscow. Sergey Umnov is the police chief since February 10, 2012.
The Main Department of Internal Affairs is the Saint Petersburg and Leningrad Oblast is the executive agency, part of the system of Internal Affairs of Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs, the police public safety is also subordinate to the Saint Petersburg Government and Leningrad Oblast Government.
The main responsibilities are the internal security, human rights and freedoms, suppression and detection of crime, and protection of public order. The Saint Petersburg City Police Commissioner is the head of the Saint Petersburg City Police Department, appointed by the Governor of Saint Petersburg. The Commissioner is a policeman administrator appointed by the Governor of Saint Petersburg, after the approvement of the Saint Petersurg Legislative Assembly, by recommendation of the President of Russia. The Control over the activities of the police are carried out by the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation, the Governor, the Government of Saint Petersburg and the Saint Petersburg Legislative Assembly.
The Police force was established in 1718, And it is considered as the oldest municipal police force in Russia. Currently police chief is Valery Krasilnikov (Since 2010).
The Saint Petersburg Police was established by Peter the Great in June 7, 1718 as the main police force in Saint Petersburg. Anton de Vieira was appointed as the first General "Polizmeister" - the city police commander. The Saint Petersburg Police was considered the best police department in Imperial Russia until 1918.
In 1918 was replaced by soviet police force which was called Militsiya until the police reform in March 2011, when the police has been called again as Politsiya
- Tourist Police - The St. Petersburg Tourist Police (туристическая полиция) was established in 2011 as a single law enforcement agency for crimes committed against tourists and is responsible for providing assistance to visitors to the city. The Tourist Police was given responsibility for undertaking these roles by the regional branch of the Russian Tourism Ministry.
- The River Police of St. Petersburg - The River Police of St. Petersburg (Речная полиция Санкт-Петербурга) was a unique law enforcement body that was responsible for supervision over the waters of the rivers in Saint Petersburg and the body was subordinate to the city police commissioner. The River Police force was established in 1866.
- The Detective Police of St. Petersburg - The Detective Police of St. Petersburg (Сыскная полиция Санкт-Петербурга) was established in 1714 and was the first of its kind in Russia. In 1880 the detective police was replaced with the Capital Department of the Okhrana. Since 1918, the function of investigating crime in the City has been performed by the Main Criminal Investigations Directorate.
The Saint Petersburg City Police Commissioner is the head of the Saint Petersburg City Police Department, appointed by the Governor of Saint Petersburg. The Commissioner is a policeman administrator appointed by the Governor of Saint Petersburg, after the approvement of the Saint Petersurg Legislative Assembly, by recommendation of the President of Russia.
Oberpolitzmeister of St. Petersburg
- Anton de Vieira (1718-1745), while being a mayor
- Christoph von Münnich (1731-1732)
- Vasily Saltykov (1732-1740)
- Fyodor Naumov (1740-1744)
- Alexei Tatischev (1745-1760)
- Nikolai Corff (1760-1766)
- Nikolai Chicherin (1764-1778)
- Dmitry Volkov (1778-1782)
- Nikita Riliev (1784-1794)
- Fyodor Trepov (1866-1873)
- Alexander Kozlov (1881-1882)
- Peter Gresser (1882-1883)
The Leningrad Militsiya commander
- Clement Voroshilov (1917-1918)
Head of Main Interior affairs Dept. of Saint Petersburg and Leningrad region
- Arkady Kramarev (1990-1994)
- Yuri Loskutov (1994 - 1996)
- Anatoly Ponidelko (1996 - 1998)
- Victor Vlasov (June 1998 - November 1999)
- Benjamin Petukhov (1999 - 2002)
- Mikhail Vanichkin (2002-2006)
- Vladislav Piotrovsky (2006-2011)
- Mikhail Sukhodolsky (2011-2012)
- Sergey Umnov (Since 2012)
- Official Website
- Department for Road Safety of Saint Petersburg and Leningrad Oblast (Saint Petersburg Traffic Police)
- Police Commissioner page on the Saint Petersburg Police website
- http://police-vyborg.ru/ Vyborg Police