Rocher Lake, largest lake within the municipality
Location within Joliette RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||July 1, 1855|
|• Mayor||Yves Beaulieu|
|• Federal riding||Joliette|
|• Prov. riding||Joliette|
|• Total||78.30 km2 (30.23 sq mi)|
|• Land||75.84 km2 (29.28 sq mi)|
|• Density||38.1/km2 (99/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011||4.6%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J0K 3A0|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
Sainte-Mélanie was formerly part of the territory of the Ailleboust Seignory, granted to Jean d'Ailleboust d'Argenteuil (1694-1785) in 1736. By 1800, Pierre-Louis Panet (1761-1812) was Lord of Ailleboust, whose daughter Charlotte-Mélanie Panet (1794-1872) may have been the source of the name Sainte-Mélanie, also a reference to Melania the Younger (383-439). Charlotte-Mélanie's husband, Marc-Antoine-Louis Lévesque (1782-1833), donated the land in 1814 for a chapel that was eventually built in 1830. The Parish of Sainte-Mélanie was founded in 1832, and four years later in 1836, the post office opened under the name Daillebout.
The municipality officially started in 1845, was soon after abolished, and reestablished in 1855 as Sainte-Mélanie-d'Ailleboust. In 1881, the post office was renamed to Sainte-Mélanie, and more than a century later in 1986, the municipality followed suit by also adopting this shortened name.
- Population in 2011: 2892 (2006 to 2011 population change: 4.6%)
- Population in 2006: 2765
- Population in 2001: 2633
- Population in 1996: 2474
- Population in 1991: 2282
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 1,221 (total dwellings: 1,404)
- English as first language: 0.9%
- French as first language: 97.8%
- English and French as first language: 0%
- Other as first language: 1.3%
Notable people from Sainte-Mélanie
- Aimé Pelletier (1914-2010), surgeon and well-known Quebec novelist, under the nom de plume of Bertrand Vac. Pelletier, who spent the majority of his professional career in Montreal, is interred with his ancestors at the Sainte-Mélanie cemetery.
- Reference number 278086 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Geographic code 61050 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (French)
- Statistics Canada 2011 Census - Sainte-Mélanie census profile
- "Sainte-Mélanie (Municipalité)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- Obituary, Aimé (Bertrand Vac) Pelletier; www.inmemoriam.ca.