Location within Les Pays-d'en-Haut RCM.
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Constituted||October 17, 2001|
|• Mayor||Gilles Boucher|
|• Federal riding||Laurentides—Labelle|
|• Prov. riding||Bertrand|
|• Total||98.70 km2 (38.11 sq mi)|
|• Land||92.62 km2 (35.76 sq mi)|
|• Density||29.6/km2 (77/sq mi)|
|• Pop (2006–11)||9.7%|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−4)|
|Postal code(s)||J0T 1L0|
|Area code(s)||450 and 579|
Sainte-Marguerite-du-Lac-Masson is a city in Les Pays-d'en-Haut Regional County Municipality in the Laurentides region of Quebec, Canada. It is partially named after and situated on the western shore of Lake Masson.
In the early 1860s, Édouard Masson (1826-1875), businessman and member of the Legislative Council of the Province of Canada from 1856 to 1864, invited many settlers to move to the former Terrebonne Seigneury and the surrounding area. In 1864, he was granted land in this area and contributed to the quick development of the parish, including the construction of a sawmill and a flour mill at the outflow of the lake which would be named after him later on. Also that same year, the Mission of Sainte-Marguerite was established, and the Parish Municipality of Sainte-Marguerite-du-Lac-Masson was officially formed, both named after Margaret of Antioch of the third century. In 1868, the Lac-Masson Post Office opened.
On October 10, 2001, the Parish Municipality of Sainte-Marguerite-du-Lac-Masson and the Town of Estérel were merged to become the Town of Sainte-Marguerite–Estérel. On January 1, 2006, after a municipal referendum, the Town of Estérel was re-established however and the Town of Sainte-Marguerite–Estérel reverted to its former name of Sainte-Marguerite-du-Lac-Masson.
- Population in 2011: 2740 (2006 to 2011 population change: 9.7%)
- Population in 2006: 2498
- 2001 to 2006 population change: 15.1%
- Population in 2001: 2170 (R)
- Population in 1996: 2251
- Population in 1991: 1571
(R) = Revised count.
Private dwellings occupied by usual residents: 1334 (total dwellings: 2158)
- English as first language: 3%
- French as first language: 91%
- English and French as first language: 2%
- Other as first language: 4%
- Reference number 388482 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (French)
- Houle, Isabelle (November 4, 2013). "« La population a choisi le chialeux! » - Gilles Boucher". Le Journal des Pays-d'en-Haut La Vallée (in French). Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- Geographic code 77012 in the official Répertoire des municipalités (French)
- "(Code 2477012) Census Profile". 2011 census. Statistics Canada. 2012.
- "Sainte-Marguerite-du-Lac-Masson (Ville)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-03-18.
- "Estérel (Ville)" (in French). Commission de toponymie du Québec. Retrieved 2009-03-18.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006, 2011 census
- Statistics Canada - Population and dwelling count amendments to the 2001 Census