||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008)|
Sajid Khan, circa 1967.
28 December 1951 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Sajid Khan (born 28 December 1951 in Mumbai,Maharashtra,India) is a former Indian actor. He is the adopted son of Indian film producer Mehboob Khan, founder of Mehboob Studios, in India.
Sajid started acting as a child appearing as the younger version of Sunil Dutt's character in his father Mehboob's 1957 film Mother India. He played more central role in title role,in his father's next and last film Son of India in 1962. He went on to achieve fame in the United States with a co-starring role alongside Jay North in the 1966 film Maya. The film's success led to a television series of the of the same name airing on NBC from September 1967 to February 1968 where he had pivotal role. He also had a short-lived singing career in 1969 with a self-titled album. He guest starred in the television series The Big Valley, Its Happening and after appearing in a handful of successful English films - The Prince and I, My Funny Girl, The Singing Filipina, Mahatma and the Mad Boy, he tried to get into Hindi films but none of his Hindi films from 1972-1983 ever worked. His career's peak period was in 1966-1974 and he was more successful in English films. He made his last film appearance in the Merchant-Ivory film Heat and Dust in 1983 which was successful.
It is reported that Sajid had a factory in India which made costume jewellery. 'Artistic' was the name of the retail store. Actress Rekha fell in love with him in the period 1970-72 but Sajid met his future wife and broke off with Rekha. He later divorced his wife in 1990 and has a son, Sameer. He acted in films from 1957 to 1983.
- Heat and Dust
- Dahshat (1981)
- Mandir Masjid (1977)
- Zindagi Aur Toofan (1975)
- Mahatma and the Mad Boy (1974) .... The Mad Boy
- Savera (1972)
- The Singing Filipina (1971) from Tower Productions, leading lady: Nora Aunor
- My Funny Girl (1971) from Tower Productions, leading lady: Tina Revilla
- . The Prince and I (1971) from Tower Productions, leading lady: Maritess Revilla
- Maya (1966) ... Raji
- Son of India (1962)
- Mother India (1957) .... Young Birju (child artist)
- The Big Valley - The Royal Road (1969, 1 episode) .... Ranjit Singh
- Its Happening - (1968, 2 episodes) .... Himself
- Maya (1967–1968, 18 episodes) .... Raji
(Numbers in parentheses indicate Billboard Singles Chart peak positions)
- "Getting To Know You" (#108) / "Ha Ram"—Colgems 1026 (1968)
- "Dream" (#119) / "Someday"—Colgems 1034 (1969)
- Sajid—Colgems COS-114