23 September 1945 |
Sajjan Kumar (born 23 September 1945) is an Indian politician belonging to the Indian National Congress party. He was a member of 14th Lok Sabha representing Outer Delhi constituency. He hails from the Jat background.
In 1977, sworn as Delhi Councillor by prominent social activist Guru Radha Kishan. He was first elected to the Municipal Corporation of Delhi in 1977 when only few congressman were able to manage a win in Delhi.
1984 anti-sikh riots
Sajjan Kumar is one of the most notable persons accused in connection with the 1984 anti-Sikh riots. Eyewitnesses have testified how Sajjan Kumar incited mobs to kill Sikhs in the aftermath of Indira Gandhi's assassination. In 2012, the Central Bureau of Investigation prosecutor told a Delhi court that riots targeting the Sikhs had the "patronage" of Sajjan Kumar. CBI alleged that he organised anti-Sikh riots and he along with five others are being tried at court for killing six Sikh people.
In April 2013, the Karkardooma district court in Delhi acquitted Sajjan Kumar, while convicting five others, leading to protests. Additional court cases against Kumar, including one in the Delhi High Court, remain ongoing. On August 27, 2013, the Delhi High Court accepted an appeal filed by the CBI against Kumar's previous acquaittal by a lower court. CBI stated that the trial court "erred in acquitting Sajjan Kumar as it was he who had instigated the mob during the riots".
- "HC refuses to give relief to Sajjan Kumar". The Hindu. 18 February 2010. Retrieved 19 December 2010.
- 1984 riots: Sajjan Kumar provoked mob to kill my father, witness tells court
- "India Congress leader 'incited' 1984 anti-Sikh riots". BBC News. 2012-04-23. Retrieved 2012-04-23.
- "1984 anti-Sikh riots backed by Govt, police: CBI". IBN Live. 23 April 2012. Retrieved 27 April 2012.
- Times news network (23 April 2012). "CBI blames Congress leader Sajjan Kumar for 1984 anti-Sikh riots". The Times of India.
- "Sajjan Kumar acquitted in anti-Sikh riots case". The Hindu. 2013-04-30. Retrieved 2013-04-30.
- "1984 riots case: Decision on Sajjan Kumar's trial today". Z News. 2013-07-30. Retrieved 2013-08-20.
- "Court admits appeal against Sajjan Kumar's acquittal". Hindustan Times. August 27, 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-27.