Alosi was a linebacker at Hofstra University from 1996 to 2000. As a senior, he was named the co-recipient of the Mayor’s Trophy, an annual award presented to the two Hofstra players who best exemplify good sportsmanship and fair play both on and off the field. He won the award in 2000, despite having been arrested the year before for allegedly breaking into a dorm room with seven teammates and assaulting three students. Originally charged with third-degree assault, he later pled guilty to a lesser charge of second-degree harassment, a misdemeanor.
New York Jets tripping incident
During a game against the Miami Dolphins on December 12, 2010, Alosi stuck out his knee and tripped Nolan Carroll as the latter was returning a kickoff. Two days later, the Jets suspended him indefinitely after it was discovered that he had instructed inactive Jets players to line up along the sideline so as to potentially impede opposing players. General manager Mike Tannenbaum said that Alosi had initially not been truthful about how the wall had been formed. Alosi was fined $25,000 by the Jets and suspended for the remainder of the 2010 season. The NFL subsequently fined the Jets $100,000 for Alosi's actions.
- "Sal Alosi Biography - UCLA Bruins Official Athletic Site". Retrieved 2014-01-18.
- Massapequa’s Alosi wins Mayor’s Trophy at Hofstra Leads team to playoffs, Massapequa Post, November 29, 2000
- ANALYSIS/Unnecessary Roughness, Newsday
- Alosi arrested while at Hofstra in 1999, Newsday
- New York Jets Head Coach - Rex Ryan at NFL.com. Webcache.googleusercontent.com. Retrieved on 2010-12-17.
- Jets suspend coach Sal Alosi indefinitely because of new information, Washington Post, December 15, 2010
- Jets fined $100K for tripping incident. ESPN, 2010-12-30.
- http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6078186 Archived 2 February 2011 at WebCite
- "Sal Alosi". BryantBulldogs.com. Bryant University. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- Sal Alosi : Head Strength and Conditioning : Official Jets Bio : New York Jets Team News. .newyorkjets.com. Retrieved on 2010-12-17.