Salah ad Din Province
|• Total||24,751 km2 (9,556 sq mi)|
|Population (2011 )|
|Main language(s)||Arabic (official)
Saladin Governorate (Arabic: صلاح الدين Salāh ad Dīn) (or Salah ad Din Province, Kurdish Parezgay Salah aldin) is a governorate in Iraq, north of Baghdad. The governorate has an area of 24,363 square kilometres (9,407 sq mi). The estimated population for 2003 was 1,042,200 people. The capital is Tikrit; the governorate also contains the significantly larger city of Samarra. Before 1976 the governorate was part of Baghdad Governorate.
The province is named after Saladin (written Salah ad-Din in modern Arabic Latin transcription), a Muslim leader who defeated the Crusaders at Hattin, who hailed from the province. Salah ad Din was the home province of Saddam Hussein; he was born in Al-Awja, a town near Tikrit.
In October 2011, the government in Saladin governorate declared itself a semi-autonomous region within Iraq. The government explained that the declaration was in response to the central government's "domination over the provincial council authorities". Saladin, which is a largely Sunni governorate, is also hoping that by declaring themselves an autonomous region within Iraq, that it will entail them to a larger portion of government funding. The council cited "article 119 of Iraq's constitution" in its call for autonomy, which states that "one or more governorates [provinces] shall have the right to organize into a region" if one third of the Provincial Council members or one tenth of the voters request to form a region".
- Governor: Amhed Abdullah Abid Kalaf (Abu Mazin)
- First Deputy Governor for (Technician Affairs): Ahmed Abdul Jabar Ali Al-Krayem 
- Second Deputy Governor for (Administrative Affairs): Dr.Amin Aziz Jawad Qader
- Provincial Council Chairman (PCC): Ammar Yousef Hamoud 
Districts of Saladin Province
- Al-Daur District (Al-Daur)
- Al-Shirqat District (Al-Shirqat)
- Baiji District (Baiji)
- Balad District (Balad)
- Samarra District (Samarra)
- Tikrit District (Tikrit)
- Tooz District (Tooz)
- Dujail District (Dujail)
Towns and Cities
- Al Sherqat
- Al Ishaqi
- Al Seniyah
- Al Dhuluiya
- Sa'ad (Iraq)
- Al Faris (Bamerni)
- Hammoudi, Laith. "Saddam's home province declares regional autonomy in Iraq". McClatchy Newspapers. Retrieved 14 December 2011.
- "Baghdad tries to cancel demands of Diyala Province". Kurdsat TV. Retrieved 15 December 2011.
- [dead link]
- Article and vidéo on civilians massacre on BBC News.
- "3 U.S. soldiers charged with killing of Iraqis" on CNN.
- Iraq Inter-Agency Information & Analysis Unit Reports, Maps and Assessments of Iraq's Governorates from the UN Inter-Agency Information & Analysis Unit
|Kirkuk Governorate||Sulaymaniyah Governorate|
|Al Anbar Governorate||Baghdad Governorate|