His surname is also rendered Fozan or Fawzaan. He is also known as Shaykh Saleh Ibn Fawzan Ibn Abdullah, Sheikh Saleh Ibn Fawzan al-Fawzan, Saalih ibn Fawzaan ibn 'Abdullaah al-Fawzaan, Ibn al-Fowzaan and Ibn al-Fawzaan.
Fawzan is from the family of Fawzan from the people/tribe of ash-Shamaasiyyah.
Whilst his father died when he was of a young age, he was brought up by his family and learned the Qur'ân, the basics of reading and writing by the Imam of the Masjid of their town, Sheikh Hamood Ibn Sulayman at-Talal. at-Talal was later made judge in the town of Dariyyah (not Dar'iyyah in Riyadh) in the region of Qaseem.
Fawzan studied in the state school in ash-Qamariyah when it opened 1948.
When it opened in 1952, Fawzan joined the Educational Institute in Buraydah and subsequently graduated from there in 1956.
Fawzan was a student of Imam Muhammad ibn Saud Islamic University in Riyadh, initially studying at the faculty of Sharia and graduating in 1960; he later on earned his master's and doctorate from the same university, focusing on Fiqh.
After the completion of his doctorate, he was a teacher at the faculty of Shari'ah at his alma mater before being transferred into the department of the fundamentals of religion, or Department for Higher Studies within the Faculty of the Principles of the Religion (usool ad-deen). He was later the head of Saudi Arabia's Supreme Court of Justice.
When his headship there came to an end, he returned to teaching in the same faculty.
Besides his main role on the Permanent Committee, he is a member of the Council of Senior Scholars, and member of the Fiqh Committee in Makkah (part of ar-Raabitah), and a member of the Committee for Supervision of the Callers (du'aat) in Hajj.
He also contributes to answering questions on the radio program "Noorun 'alad-Darb" (Light along the Path).
Shaykh Fawzan also takes part in supervising a number of theses at the Masters degree and Doctorate level. He has a number of students of knowledge who frequent his regular gatherings and lessons and he himself studied at the hands of a number of prominent scholars and jurists, the most notable of whom were: Sh, Abdul-Azeez Ibn Baz, Sh. Abdullah ibn Humayd, Sheikh Muhammad al-Ameen ash-Shanqeetee, Sheikh Abdur-Razzaq 'Afeefee, Sheikh Saleh Ibn Abdur-Rahman as-Sukaytee, Sh. Saleh Ibn Ibraaheem al-Bulayhee, Sh. Muhammad Ibn Subayyal, Sheikh Abdullah Ibn Saleh al-Khulayfee, Sh. Ibraaheem Abdul-Muhsin, and Sh. Saleh Ali an-Naasir.
Fawzan contributes greatly to a number of Islamic research publications at the Council for Islamic Research, Studies, Theses and Fataawa which are then collated and published. He is the author of a large number of publications, many of which have been translated into English, of which the following are a selection:
- An Explanation of Aspects of the Days of Ignorance of Imam Muhammed ibn Abdul-Wahhab
- Beneficial Answers to Questions on Innovated Methodologies
- Reflecting Upon the Qur'aan
- Explanation of the 'Aqeedah of the Imaam, the Reformer, Muhammad Ibn 'Abdul-Wahhaab
- Explanation of The Four Foundations of Shirk – al-Qawaaid al-'Arba'a of Imam Muhammed ibn Abdul-Wahhab
- Aqeedah at-Tawheed
- The ruling concerning Mawlid an-Nabawi
- Karamaat of the Awliyaa
- How do we keep steadfast upon the way of the Salaf
- The Essential Relationship between the youth and the scholars of Islam
- Enjoining the Good and Forbidding the Evil, Significance, Manner and Approach
- The Prohibition of engaging in dawah without Knowledge
- Is ignorance an excuse in matters of Aqeedah?
- At-Tahqeeqaat al-Mardiyyah in inheritance, which is part of his Masters degree;
- Foods and the Rulings regarding Slaughtering and Hunting, which is part of his Doctorate;
- Sharh al-'Aqeedatul Waasitiyyah
- Sharh Usool Uth-Thalaathah
- Sharh Usool Us-Sittah
- Sharh Al-Limm'at ul-I'tiqaad
- Al-irshaad ilas-Saheehil-I'tiqaad
- al-Mulakhkhas al-Fiqhee (A Summary of Islamic Jurisprudence)
- Rulings relating to the Believing Women
- A refutation of Yusuf Qaradawi's book al-Halaal wal-Haraam (The Lawful and the Prohibited in Islam).
- Sharh Al-Mandhoomah Al-Haa'iyyah (Explanation of the Poem: Haa'iyyah)
- A biography of the Sheikh
- Another biography of the Shiekh[dead link]
- A third biography on the Sheikh