Sayeed Saleh Hosseini has a PhD in English from Washington University, Seattle in the United States. He is currently retired after teaching for more than three decades at the College of Humanities and Literature at Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz but is active in teaching English literature at Jahad Daneshgahi University in the city of Ahvaz. Having completed his tertiary education in his hometown, he continued his education at Shiraz University in Iran where he graduated with an M.A in English literature. Then he went to the United States ,earning a PhD degree in English literature at Washington University, after which he came back to Iran in 1979. He was acclaimed by the Iranian Ministry of Culture and Guidance as the leading translator and critic of the year in 1997. (1376 Hijri)
Sayeed Saleh Hosseini's vast knowledge of Persian literature especially the works of Hafiz and the Modern Persian poets such as Sohrab Sepehri and his long association with notable literary figures such as Manucher Badiyee; Houshang Golshiri ; Feraidun Moshiri; Houshang Golshiri ;Ahmad Shamlu and other notable figures of Iran's literary society has resulted into him being among one of the popular critics of Modern Iranian poetry and one of the advocates of the Persian language which is manifest in his translations.
Hosseini's translations have been criticized as being too ponderous for the common reader; whereas being works of literature in their original form, Hosseini has always defended his unique translations with the statement that is has striven to create " an equivalent literary masterpiece in Persian" while remaining faithful to the original work. Among his notable works are1984 by George Orwell and the introduction of Brave New World translated into Persian by Sa’id Hamidian. He also translated To the Lighthouse (Virginia Woolf) and Heart of Darkness (Joseph Conrad) which are both great in source language and translated target language. It is of note that Saleh Hosseini is best known in Iran for his translation of William Faulkner's works and the development of a new style of discriptive translation in the Persian translation of the Sound and The Fury.Nazari-be-Tarjome (نظری به ترجمه) [A Look to Translation] and Farhang-i-Nabarabarhaye Adabi (فرهنگ نابرابرهای ادبی) [A Dictionary of Literary Inequalities] are among the books written by Dr. Saleh Hosseini.
- A comparative analysis of The Sound and the Fury and Shazde Ehtejab * * [Barrasye-Tatbighie-Khashm-o-Hayahoo-va-Shazde-Ehtejab](بررسی تطبیقی خشم و هیاهو و شازده احتجاب)
- Tiling of Scribers’ Palace [Kashigari-i-Kakh-i-Kateban] (کاشی گری کاخ کاتبان) (in coolaboration with Pouya Rafi’i)
- Golshiri the Scriber and House of Brightness [Golshiri-i-Kateb-va-Khaneye-Roshanan] (گلشیری کاتب و خانه ی روشنان) (in collaboration with Pouya Rafi’i)
- Prayer Flowers [Golhaye-Niayesh] (گل های نیایش)
- A look to Translation [Nazari-be-Tarjome] (نظری به ترجمه)
- Silent Lotus [Niloofar-i-Khamush] (نیلوفر خاموش)
- To the Lighthouse – Virginia Woolf
- The Sound and the Fury – William Faulkner
- Go Down Moses - William Faulkner
- Absalom, Absalom! – William Faulkner(in collaboration with Parviz Perez Talebzadeh)
- The Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoevsky
- The Death of Ivan Ilyich – Leo Tolstoy
- The Last Temptation of Christ - Nikos Kazantzakis
- Report to Greco - Nikos Kazantzakis
- The Gambler - Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad(in collaboration with Parviz Perez Talebzadeh)
- Lord Jim – Joseph Conrad
- Under the Volcano - Malcolm Lowry
- The Great Code: The Bible and Literature – Northrop Frye
- The Anatomy of Criticism – Northrop Frye
- 1984 – George Orwell
- Animal Farm – George Orwell (in collaboration with Masumeh Nabi-Zadeh)
- "صالح حسینی و معیارهای نقد شعر". Aftab. 5 December 2006. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- "اورول سیاست را از زبان كنار گذاشت". IBNA. 6 July 2007. Retrieved 25 September 2011.
- Hori, A. A. F. (Summer 2009). "A study of translator's style in translated narrative texts: translation universals in Persian translation of Woolf's To the lighthouse". Translation Studies 7 (26): 5–26.
- Somayeh, Delzendehrooy (Summer 2010). "Adequacy or acceptability? Toward making the style of the author known". Translation Studies 8 (30): 27–42.
- Taghavi, Maryam (2009). "The Translator’s Habitus and Shifts: a study on modulations in the Persian translations of Faulkner’s The Sound And The Fury, Go Down Moses and Absalom! Absalom!". New Voices in Translation Studies 5.