Salem High School (Massachusetts)
|Salem High School|
|77 Willson Street
Salem, Massachusetts, 01970
|Superintendent||Dr. Stephen Russell|
|Dean||Jessica B. Callanan, William Shevory, Jamie Flynn|
|Number of students||1359 (2008)|
|Language||English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin and Latin|
|Hours in school day||7:24 am - 2:02 pm|
|School colour(s)||Red & White & Black|
|Song||To Salem High|
|Athletics conference||Northeastern Conference|
|Rival||Beverly High School (Beverly, MA)|
|Average SAT scores||467 verbal
458 writing (2010)
Salem High School is a four-year public high school in Salem, Massachusetts. It has an enrollment of approximately 1,400 students and is accredited by the Massachusetts Department of Education and by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
The staff consists of a Principal, three Housemasters, a Curriculum Director, Athletic Director, Director of Guidance, six Guidance Counselors and over a hundred teachers. The football team mascot is the Salem High Witches.
Student Life/Student Demographics
In addition to academics, students at Salem High School have access to a variety of clubs and organizations. The school has a Student Council that is made up of students and two faculty advisers who work with the administration to solve issues students have. Students can join the National Honor Society and the Tri-M Music Honor Society, to which students can apply during their junior or senior year along with the National Art Honor Society, to which students can apply during their sophomore year. The school also offers an extraordinary music department, with programs such as the marching band, which is commonly known as "The Pride Of The North Shore".
Salem is a proud member of the JROTC, in which "The effects of a Marine Corps JROTC unit extend far beyond the classroom and into the community in developing character, leadership, and civic responsibility. The program makes a difference by keeping kids in school, providing an environment conducive to their personal development and growth, and helping them become productive members of the community." For a full list of organizations please visit the Student Activities page located at the SHS Website.
Student Demographics (2011-12 School year): White: 53.7%, Hispanic: 34.1%, African-American: 4.7%, Asian: 3.2%, Native American: 0.1%, Multi-race: 4.2%, (Demographics reflect the town's growing diversity)
Salem High School is a member of M.I.A.A. with athletes participating in the Northeast League, District A. Athletics are open to all students at Salem High School during Fall, Winter and Spring seasons.
- Cross Country
- Girls Volleyball
- Girls Field Hockey
- Boys Soccer
- Girls Soccer
- Football Cheerleading
- Boys Basketball
- Girls Basketball
- Boys Indoor Track
- Girls Indoor Track
- Hockey Cheerleading
- Boys Lacrosse
- Girls Lacrosse
- Boys Spring Track
- Girls Spring Track
- Boys Tennis
- Girls Tennis
2013 Renovation of Bertram Field ($1,900,000)
- The City Council in Salem Approved $1,900,000  for renovation of the existing Bertram Field, which is named after Captain John Bertram.  Over the Summer of 2013, there will be a complete renovation of the entire Bertram Field complex. Construction crews will be installing a brand new artificial turf field. There will be a brand new track for running, a brand new state of the art scoreboard, a new flagpole and many other smaller improvements for Bertram Field which is used by the Salem High School Ahletics program in addition to various youth sports programs across from the City of Salem.
- Jack Welch, former chairman CEO of General Electric.
- Jeff Juden, former Major League pitcher, such teams as Astros & Indians.
- Rick Brunson, 9 year NBA Veteran
- Eugene Lacritz, conductor, clarinetist, and specialty retail executive in Texas
- Scoonie Penn, former college basketball player at Boston College and The Ohio State University, drafted 57th overall by the Atlanta Hawks in 2000 NBA draft
- John Keenan, Currently the State Representative for 7th Essex District in Massachusetts
- Al Ruscio, actor
- Samuel Zoll, former Mayor of Salem, former Chief Justice of Massachusetts District Courts
- Sean P. Stellato, former Arena Football League player with the Florida Firecats, Louisville Fire and Memphis Xplorers. Currently an author, motivational speaker and Sports Agent representing several NFL players.