Salil Shetty at a Chatham House event in November 2011
|Born||February 3, 1961|
|Education||St Joseph's College London School of Economics, Indian Institute of Management|
|Title||Secretary-General of Amnesty International|
|Term||21 December 2009|
|UN Millennium Campaign|
Salil Shetty (born February 3, 1961) is the Secretary General of the human rights organization Amnesty International (2009–present). Previously, he was the director of the United Nations Millennium Campaign. Before joining the UN, he served as the Chief Executive of ActionAid. He is an Indian national, brought up in Bangalore, the child of a mother active in women’s groups and a father active with the Dalit movement.
Shetty was appointed as Secretary General of the human rights organization Amnesty International on 21 December 2009 starting work in July 2010. He succeeded Irene Khan in this post. He is overseeing a strengthening of the organisation's global presence, with enlarged new offices opening in Brazil, India, South Africa, Hong Kong and elsewhere.
The decentralisation of Amnesty International's international secretariat, led by Shetty, has caused a serious dispute amongst the organisation's staff. According to an article published by the Guardian on 2 December 2012,
the core of the dispute lies in the decision, led by the secretary general, Salil Shetty, to take the organisation "closer to the ground", opening 10 new regional "hubs" in hotspots where human rights violations occur. Some of Amnesty's 500 staff in London will be moved abroad, and those affected argue that the shift is under-planned, ill-judged and risks muddying the purpose of the organisation. For them this is not an industrial dispute over job cuts, but a battle for the organisation's soul. 
- Amnesty International: Salil Shetty Biography (Accessed August 2012)
- "Salil Shetty: Amnesty International's new voice in the fight against injustice - Salil Shetty wants to make Amnesty International, the world's largest human rights organisation, truly international"
- Topping, Alexandra. "Amnesty International staff battle management over restructuring". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- Press release, Amnesty International
- Riz Khan - Making human rights universal - interview with Salil Shetty on Al Jazeera English
|Non-profit organization positions|
|Secretary-General of Amnesty International
|This United Nations-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Indian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|