|Institutions||American University in Cairo|
|Alma mater||Bryn Mawr College, Pennsylvania
University of Cambridge,UK
Salima Ikram is a professor of Egyptology at the American University in Cairo, a participant in many Egyptian archaeological projects, the author of several books on Egyptian archaeology, a contributor to various magazines and a frequent guest on pertinent television programs.
Ikram studied Egyptology and Archaeology at Bryn Mawr College, Pennsylvania, USA, earning an A.B. in Classical and Near Eastern Archaeology and History. Continuing her studies at the University of Cambridge, she earned her M.Phil. and Ph.D. in Egyptology and Museum Studies. While working for her Ph.D. she also trained in fauna analysis.
Ikram lives in Cairo and teaches Egyptology and Archaeology at the American University in Cairo, where she is now full Professor of Egyptology. She is the correspondent for Kmt, a popular Egyptological journal, and a frequent contributor to Egypt Today. She is the co-director of the Animal Mummy Project at the Egyptian Museum. Since 2001, Ikram has directed, with Corinna Rossi, the North Kharga Oasis Survey (NKOS).
- Chapters in Nicholson & Shaw, Ancient Egyptian Materials and Technology (Cambridge: CUP)
- Choice Cuts: Meat Production in Ancient Egypt (Leuven: Peeters, 1995)
- Death and Burial in Ancient Egypt (Longman, 2003)
- Divine Creatures: Animal Mummies In Ancient Egypt (American University in Cairo Press, 2005)
- Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt (New York: OUP)
- Mummy in Ancient Egypt: Equipping the Dead for Eternity (New York: Thames & Hudson/Cairo: AUC Press, 1998) (with Aidan Dodson)
- Non Human Mummies Catalog (American University in Cairo Press, 2003)
- Pyramids (Cairo: Zeitouna)
- Royal Mummies in the Egyptian Museum (Cairo: Zeitouna/American University in Cairo Press, 1997) (with Aidan Dodson)
- The Tomb in Ancient Egypt (London & New York: Thames & Hudson/Cairo: AUC Press, 2008) (with Aidan Dodson)
Works for young readers
- Egyptology (Amideast, 1997)
- In Ancient Egypt: Gods and Temples (Los Altos, CA: Hoopoe Books Ltd., 1998)
- In Ancient Egypt: Mummies and Tombs (Los Altos, CA: Hoopoe Books Ltd., 1998)
- Pharaohs (Amideast, 1997)
- Land and People (Amideast, 1997)
- "Dr. Salima Ikram, Faunal Analyst - Theban Mapping Project". thebanmappingproject.com. Retrieved April 19, 2010.
- "Animal Mummies in the Cairo Museum". animalmummies.com. Retrieved April 19, 2010.
- "Caring for the Dead". archaeology.org. Retrieved April 19, 2010.
- "North Kharga Oasis Survey". aucegypt.edu. Retrieved April 19, 2010.[dead link]
|This biographical article about a Pakistani academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about an Egyptologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|