Saline Township, Jefferson County, Ohio
|Saline Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Jefferson County
|• Total||21.5 sq mi (55.7 km2)|
|• Land||21.1 sq mi (54.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||686 ft (209 m)|
|• Density||69.0/sq mi (26.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086383|
Saline Township is one of the fourteen townships of Jefferson County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,454 people in the township, 1,011 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northeastern corner of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Yellow Creek Township, Columbiana County - north
- Knox Township - south
- Ross Township - southwest
- Brush Creek Township - northwest
Hancock County, West Virginia lies across the Ohio River to the east.
Two villages are located in Saline Township: Irondale in the northwest, and part of Stratton in the southeast along the Ohio River. As well, the unincorporated community of Hammondsville lies in the center of the township.
Name and history
It is the only Saline Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Jefferson County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Doyle, Joseph Beatty (1910). 20th Century History of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio and Representative Citizens. Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company. p. 463.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.