Salisbury Cathedral Choir
The Choir of Salisbury Cathedral exists to sing services in Salisbury Cathedral, Wiltshire, England, and has probably been in existence since the consecration of the cathedral in 1258.
The choir comprises sixteen boy choristers and sixteen girl choristers aged between 8 – 13 years and six professional Lay Vicars singing countertenor, tenor and bass. Salisbury Cathedral was the first English cathedral to recruit girl choristers and, when in the cathedral, the girls choir is usually wholly independent of the boys. The weekly services are equally divided between the boy and girl choristers throughout the school year.
In addition to services, the choir is involved in BBC broadcasts, concerts, CD recordings and the annual Southern Cathedrals Festival. The choir also broadcasts frequently on BBC Radio 3 and BBC Radio 4. A documentary programme about the choir was shown on BBC4 television in March 2012 under the title Angelic Voices; it included episodes in the life of the members of both choirs over a four month period.
The choir is directed by the Director of Music, currently David Halls, and accompanied by the Assistant Organist, plus an organ scholar who is selected by audition on an annual basis.
In previous years the boys and men have travelled to Latvia, Estonia and France; the girls to Italy and Austria. In 2009 the boys and men of Salisbury Cathedral Choir made their first visit to Salisbury’s twinned city of Saintes, France., a visit they are repeating just before Easter 2014.
Recent recordings include:
- 2013 - Great Hymns from Salisbury
- 2009 - Christmas at Salisbury Cathedral
- 2009 - Bernard Naylor - The Nine Motets
- 2009 – Anthems from Salisbury
- 2008 – Christmas Carols from Wells and Salisbury
- 2008 – The Resurrection
- 2006 - The Virgin Mary's Journey
- 2004 - Praise and Thanksgiving: Anthems from Salisbury
- 2003 - King of Glory: Evensong from Salisbury
- 2001 - Angels' Song: The New Music of Salisbury Cathedral
- 2001 – From Darkness to Light
- 1997 – Britten: Spring Symphony
- 1997 – Sing Choirs of Angels
- 1996 – An English Chorister’s Songbook
Notable former choristers
- "Choir". Salisbury Cathedral. Retrieved 2013-10-24.
- "Salisbury Cathedral School - History". Salisburycathedralschool.com. Retrieved 2013-10-24.
- Angelic Voices - The Choristers of Salisbury Cathedral - BBC Documentary; in Salisbury Cathedral School News; 13 March 2012; accessdate 13 April 2012
- "Recent Press Releases". Salisbury Cathedral. 2009-03-04. Retrieved 2013-10-24.
- DANIEL, Nicholas in Who's Who 2007 (London, A. & C. Black, 2007)
- http://www.hdtracks.com/music/artist/view/id/954/ accessed 24 February 2014