Sally Bedell Smith
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009)|
|Sally Bedell Smith|
|Other names||Sally Bedell|
|Education||B.A. Wheaton College
M.S. Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism
|Employer||Vanity Fair (contributing editor)|
|Notable work(s)||Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch (January 2012)|
Board member of
|Spouse(s)||Stephen G. Smith|
|Awards||1982 Sigma Delta Chi Award for magazine reporting, Society of Professional Journalists
1986 fellow, Freedom Forum Media Studies Center, the 2012 Washington Irving Medal for Literary Excellence, an award presented by the Saint Nicholas Society of the City of New York, the 2012 Goodreads Choice Award for best book in history and biography [Elizabeth the Queen], the only major book award decided by readers.
|Sally Bedell Smith: Bestselling Biographies on The Clintons, The Kennedys, Princess Diana, Pamela Harriman and William S. Paley|
Sally Bedell Smith (born 1948) is an American historian and best selling author specializing in biographies of American political, cultural, and business leaders as well as members of the British Royal Family. She is married to Stephen G. Smith, formerly editor of U.S. News and World Report, now editor of The Washington Examiner.
Sally Bedell Smith spent her early career working at Time magazine, TV Guide, and The New York Times. She won the Sigma Delta Chi Distinguished Service Award in 1982, and became a fellow at the Freedom Forum Media Studies Center in 1986. In 1996, Smith joined Vanity Fair as contributing editor, where she remains as of March 2013.
She graduated from Radnor High School in 1966, and was inducted into the school's Hall of Fame in November 2008. She received her B.A. from Wheaton College and her M.S. from Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism [winner of the Robert Sherwood memorial Travel-Study Scholarship and the Women's Press Club of New York Award].
- "Sally Bedell Smith" (fee, via Fairfax County Public Library). Contemporary Authors Online. Detroit: Gale. 2007. GALE|H1000113089. Retrieved 2012-01-17. Gale Biography In Context. (subscription required)
- Smith, Sally Bedell (December 9, 1990). In All His Glory: The Life of William Paley. Interview with Brian Lamb. Booknotes. C-SPAN. Retrieved 2012-01-17. "I went to Wheaton College in Massachusetts and then got my masters at Columbia Journalism School."
- "Society of the Four Arts". Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- "Hall of Fame / 2008 Hall of Fame Inductions". Wayne, PA: Radnor Township School District. Retrieved 2012-01-17.
- Up the Tube: Prime-Time TV and the Silverman Years (as Sally Bedell; 1981; ISBN 0-670-51385-7)
- In All His Glory: The Life of William S. Paley: The Legendary Tycoon and His Brilliant Circle (1990; ISBN 0-671-61735-4)
- Reflected Glory: The Life of Pamela Churchill Harriman (1996; ISBN 0-684-80950-8)
- Diana in Search of Herself: Portrait of a Troubled Princess (1999; ISBN 0-8129-3030-4)
- Grace and Power: The Private World of the Kennedy White House (2004, ISBN 1-84513-003-0)
- For Love of Politics: Bill and Hillary Clinton in the White House (2007, ISBN 1-4000-6324-8)
- Elizabeth the Queen: The Life of a Modern Monarch (January 2012 release)
- Sally Bedell Smith's website
- Biography at The Chelsea Forum, a speakers bureau
- Booknotes interview with Smith on In All His Glory, December 9, 1990.
- Interview with Smith on "New Books in Biography"