Salmon High School
|Salmon High School|
|401 S. Warpath Drive
Salmon, Idaho 83467
|School district||Salmon School District #291|
|Faculty||19.9 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.3|
|Color(s)||Orange, Black &White
|Website||Salmon High School|
Salmon High School is a public secondary school located in Salmon, Idaho. Salmon High School is a part of the Salmon School District #291. The mission of the school is to "provide a safe, supportive environment for teaching and learning." Current enrollment at the High School is 295.
Extracurricular activities offered by the school include FFA, Travel Club, Natural Helpers, National Honor Society, Robotics, student council, pep band, and Key club. Sports include football, volleyball, cross country, cheerleading, basketball, wrestling, golf, and track and field. Other activities, such as hockey, rodeo, and baseball, are offered through the community.
In order to receive a diploma from Salmon High School, students must maintain a "C" average (a 2.0 GPA) in core subjects. The amount of credits required varies between graduation years, currently ranging from 46 to 50. In addition, students who entered 9th grade on or after the Fall of 2009 must take either the ACT, SAT, or COMPASS college placement test. The same group of students must complete a senior project.
In 1999, the Salmon School Board was threatened by the National Coalition on Racism in Sports and the Media with a $100,000 lawsuit if they did not change the schools mascot, the Savages. Members of the coalition stated that Native American mascots were derogatory especially since the name was Savages. After discussions with the board, the group decided to focus only on changing the mascot. The school board ultimately chose to get rid of the logo featuring a Native American because it would cost more than $100,000 to fight the issue in court while maintaining the mascot name.
- Kent J. Allen, Class of 1971, Area Seventy for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Twin Falls, Idaho, dentist.
- Russell A. Miller, Class of 1987, Law Professor at Washington & Lee School of Law, expert in German law and former collegiate football player at Washington State University.
- Chris Fred, Class of 2000, LGBTQ Activist, Burlesque performer and Podcast Producer.
- David Schroeder, Class of 2001, former professional basketball player in the Euro League, cross fit gym operator.
- J.D. Folsom, Class of 2003, former professional football player in the NFL, saddle maker, veterinary medicine student.
- "Salmon High School". Public School Review. Retrieved 2009-04-29.
- "Salmon High School". Salmon High School. Retrieved 2009-04-29.
- "Superintendent, Joey Foote". District Information. Salmon School District. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- "Administration". Salmon School District. Retrieved 2008-03-03.
- "Salmon High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2008-03-03.
- "Idaho High School Activities Association". IHSAA. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "About Salmon High School". Salmon High School. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- "SHS Mission". Salmon High School. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- "Salmon High School Student Handbook". Salmon High School. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- "Salmon schools will abandon Savages mascot". Lemhi-Shoshone. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- Associate Press (August 12, 1999). "Salmon High's mascot comes under fire". The Spokesman Review. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- J. D. Folsom