Salt Creek (Sangamon River tributary)
Salt Creek is a major tributary to the Sangamon River, which it joins at the boundary between Mason and Menard County, Illinois. There are at least two other Salt Creeks in Illinois, Salt Creek (Des Plaines River Tributary), and in Effingham County, Illinois.
The lower reaches of Salt Creek at one time formed the boundary between Mason and Menard counties. This stretch has been channelized so that the modern route of the creek only approximates the actual county line.
The major tributaries of Salt Creek include Sugar Creek, Kickapoo Creek, and the North Fork of Salt Creek.
Cities, towns and counties
The following cities, towns and villages are drained by Salt Creek:
- Farmer City
- Mason City
- Mt. Pulaski
The following Illinois counties are partly within the Salt Creek watershed:
Parks and access points
- Clinton Lake State Recreation Area
- Edward R. Madigan State Fish and Wildlife Area
- Kickapoo Creek County Park
- Moraine View State Recreation Area
- Weldon Springs State Park
- U.S. Geological Survey. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. The National Map, accessed May 13, 2011
- Prairie Rivers Network
- TopoQuest, Moraine View State Recreation Area
- TopoQuest, Salt Creek meets the Sangamon
- Draft TMDLs Salt Creek (Large PDF Document)
- USGS Real-time Stream Gage, Salt Creek at Greenview