Salt substitutes are low-sodium table salt alternatives marketed to circumvent the risk of high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease associated with a high intake of sodium chloride while maintaining a similar taste. They usually contain mostly potassium chloride, whose toxicity is approximately equal to that of table salt in a healthy person (the LD50 is about 2.5 g/kg, or approximately 190 g for a person weighing 75 kg). Potassium lactate may also be used to reduce sodium levels in food products. It is commonly used in meat and poultry products. The recommended daily allowance of potassium is higher than that for sodium, yet a typical person consumes less potassium than sodium in a given day. Seaweed granules are also marketed as alternatives to salt. 
However, various diseases and medications may decrease the body's excretion of potassium, thereby increasing the risk of potentially fatal hyperkalemia. People with kidney failure, heart failure or diabetes should not use salt substitutes without medical advice. A manufacturer, LoSalt, has issued an advisory statement that people taking the following prescription drugs should not use a salt substitute: amiloride, triamterene, Dytac, captopril & other angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, spironolactone, aldactone, eplerenone, and Inspra.
Potassium chloride may have a metallic taste to some.
- Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) Salt and Health (PDF)
- Low sodium meat products. http://www.purac.com/purac_com/01d7a1a1dce330c46ada4f832de8e6ca.php/
- "Dietary Reference Intakes : Electrolytes and Water". The National Academies. 2004. Retrieved 14 August 2011.
- Caggiula, AW; RR Wing, MP Nowalk, NC Milas, S Lee and H Langford (1985). "The measurement of sodium and potassium intake". American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 42 (3): 391–398. PMID 4036845. Retrieved 2008-11-17.
- http://www.foodnavigator.com/Science-Nutrition/Seaweed-granules-may-replace-salt-in-foods 
- LoSalt Advisory Statement (PDF)
- United States Patent 4451494
- United States Patent 4243691