Location of Saltillo, Mississippi
|• Mayor||Rex B. Smith|
|• Total||8.7 sq mi (22.6 km2)|
|• Land||8.7 sq mi (22.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||322 ft (98 m)|
|• Density||550/sq mi (210/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0677306|
Saltillo is located at (34.373053, -88.689446).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 8.7 square miles (23 km2), of which 8.7 square miles (23 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) (0.23%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,393 people, 1,361 households, and 974 families residing in the town. The population density was 389.5 people per square mile (150.4/km²). There were 1,453 housing units at an average density of 166.8 per square mile (64.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 93.93% White, 4.69% African American, 0.06% Native American, 0.47% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.09% from other races, and 0.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.59% of the population.
There were 1,361 households out of which 38.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.0% were married couples living together, 10.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.4% were non-families. 25.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.45 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the town the population was spread out with 26.9% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 34.0% from 25 to 44, 19.2% from 45 to 64, and 10.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 87.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $35,912, and the median income for a family was $44,018. Males had a median income of $33,333 versus $23,542 for females. The per capita income for the town was $16,177. About 8.5% of families and 12.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.7% of those under age 18 and 17.3% of those age 65 or over.
The Town of Saltillo is served by the Lee County School District.
- Steve Dillard, baseball player for the Boston Red Sox who made Saltillo his home his entire life.
- Tim Dillard, Baseball Player; Milwaukee Brewers (2008–2009, 2011–2012)
- James Gilreath, singer and songwriter; moved to Saltillo as an adult.
- Kathryn Kelly, wife of Machine Gun Kelly and notorious criminal in her own right was born and raised in Saltillo.
- Gladys Love Smith Presley, mother of Elvis Presley.
- Merle Taylor, bluegrass fiddler.
- Darryl Wilson, Former Alabama Mister Basketball, Mississippi Standout, and professional basketball player for more than a dozen teams in Iceland, Israel, Italy, and the United States.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved May 14, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/d85b1ba2. Retrieved 28 January 2014. Missing or empty
- http://itawambatimes.com/2013/07/17/dillard-making-the-most-of-second-chance/. Retrieved 28 January 2014. Missing or empty
- Talevski, Nick (2006). Rock Obituaries - Knocking On Heaven's Door. Omnibus.
- . This Land Press [igress: The Life and Times of Kathryn Kelly igress: The Life and Times of Kathryn Kelly]. Retrieved 28 January 2014. Missing or empty
- http://www.babyfacenelsonjournal.com/kathryn-kelly.html. Retrieved 28 January 2014. Missing or empty
- . TruTV http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/gangsters_outlaws/outlaws/kelly/4.html. Retrieved 28 January 2014. Missing or empty
- The Leading Men of MGM, page 368, Performing Arts:2005 (ISBN 0786714751)
- "Merle (Red) Taylor". Hilbilly.music.com. Retrieved November 2013.
- http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=1813&TRID=1&TID=. Missing or empty