Saluda County, South Carolina
|Saluda County, South Carolina|
Location in the state of South Carolina
South Carolina's location in the U.S.
|Named for||Saluda River|
|• Total||462 sq mi (1,197 km2)|
|• Land||452 sq mi (1,171 km2)|
|• Water||9 sq mi (23 km2), 2.01%|
|• Density||44/sq mi (17/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Saluda County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Carolina. As of the 2010 census, the population was 19,875. Its county seat is Saluda. The county was formed from northern and eastern portions of Edgefield County on September 14, 1895 and named thus two days later.
- Newberry County, South Carolina - north
- Lexington County, South Carolina - east
- Aiken County, South Carolina - south
- Edgefield County, South Carolina - southwest
- Greenwood County, South Carolina - northwest
National protected area
- Sumter National Forest (part)
As of the census of 2000, there were 19,181 people, 7,127 households, and 5,295 families residing in the county. The population density was 42 people per square mile (16/km²). There were 8,543 housing units at an average density of 19 per square mile (7/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 65.80% White, 29.99% Black or African American, 0.23% Native American, 0.04% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 3.29% from other races, and 0.64% from two or more races. 7.30% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 7,127 households out of which 31.80% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.20% were married couples living together, 14.50% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.70% were non-families. 22.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the county, the population was spread out with 24.90% under the age of 18, 9.20% from 18 to 24, 27.60% from 25 to 44, 23.80% from 45 to 64, and 14.50% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 98.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $35,774, and the median income for a family was $41,603. Males had a median income of $29,221 versus $21,395 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,328. About 12.00% of families and 15.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.40% of those under age 18 and 16.30% of those age 65 or over.
- Batesburg-Leesville (Part)
- Ridge Spring
- Mount Willing, a populated place which lost to what is now Saluda to be designated the county seat of Saluda County
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Saluda County Historical Scoiety: Voices from Old Mount Willing
- South Carolina Hometown Locatoe: Mount Willing, SC
||Greenwood County||Newberry County|
|Edgefield County||Aiken County|