Salute Your Shorts
|Salute Your Shorts|
|Created by||Steve Slavkin|
|Developed by||Ryan McDonough|
Michael Ray Bower
Henry W. Laster
|Narrated by||Jordan G Smith|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||26 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Mark McCouch|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Propaganda Films|
|Original run||June 1, 1991 – September 12, 1992|
Salute Your Shorts is an American comedy television series that aired on Nickelodeon from 1991 to 1992 and in reruns until early 1999. It was based on the 1986 book, Salute Your Shorts: Life at Summer Camp by Steve Slavkin and Thomas Hill.
The series, filmed at Franklin Canyon Park and the Griffith Park Boys Camp within Griffith Park in Los Angeles, was set at the summer camp Camp Anawanna. It focuses on teenage campers, their strict and bossy counselor, and the various capers and jocularities they engage in.
The title comes from a common prank campers play on each other: a group of kids steals a boy's boxer shorts and raise them up a flagpole. Hence, when people see them waving like a flag, other kids would salute them as part of the prank.
Cast and Characters
- Kirk Baily — Kevin "Ug" Lee, one of the camp counselors. Though strict, bossy, and somewhat clumsy, he always means well and cares for the campers. He is often the main victim of Budnick's pranks.
- Megan Berwick — Z.Z. Ziff, an environmentalist who is always fighting for a cause. The others are usually less than thrilled to participate with her, unless promised in going somewhere fun.
- Michael Ray Bower — Eddie "Donkeylips" C. Gelfen, an overweight camper and Budnick's best friend. He's the strongest of the group, but also the least intelligent. He's also known for his poor hygiene.
- Venus DeMilo — Telly Radford, a tomboy who excels in many sports.
- Trevor Eyster — Eugene "Sponge" Harris (credited as Tim Eyster), a computer geek and the least respected of the group.
- Heidi Lucas — Dina Alexander, a wealthy, spoiled brat. She briefly dated Budnick.
- Erik MacArthur — Michael Stein, a new camper in season. Athletic and popular, he frequently bumped heads with Budnick. His absence is explained with him getting the chicken pox and vacationing in Switzerland.
- Blake Soper — Ronald "Ronnie" Foster Pinsky, a new camper in season two who, like Michael, is athletic and popular and bumps head with Budnick.
- Danny Cooksey — Robert "Bobby" Budnick, one of the toughest kids at the camp. Deep down, however he desires to be accepted by his peers. He frequently played pranks on the others, especially Ug. He briefly dated Dina.
- Steve Slavkin — Dr. Kahn, the camp director. He was never seen, but always made announcements on the loudspeaker.
- Christine Cavanaugh — Mona Tibbs, a local mail carrier, who dates Ug.
Salute Your Shorts was a relatively unique show for Nickelodeon at the time, as most of its scenes were shot on location. As Camp Anawanna was purely fictional, producers filmed the show at several locations around the Los Angeles area. Scenes involving camp activities, such as baseball and basketball, were shot on location at the Griffith Park Boys Camp within Griffith Park. The lake that was frequently seen on the show was located at the William O. Douglas Outdoor Classroom in Franklin Canyon Park. Interiors were shot on sets.
Season 1: 1991
After the pilot episode was picked up for a full season, all of the actors had to reaudition for their roles.
- Michael Comes to Camp
- Zeke the Plumber
- The Treasure of Sarah Madre
- Brownies for Thud Mackie
- Bunk Chief Elections
- Toilet Seat Basketball
- The Radio Call-In Contest
- Donkeylips and Sponge Weigh-in
- Budnick and Michael Fake Being Sick
- Cinderella Play (Note: This was the last time the show's theme song was used in its closing credits)
- Donkeylips Loves Dina
- Mail Carrier Mona
- The Environmental Party
Season 2: 1992
- Goodbye Michael, Hello Pinsky
- Counselor Budnick
- Telly and the Tennis Match
- Dina and the Rock Star
- The Cursed Skull
- Budnick Loves Dina - Part 1
- Budnick Loves Dina - Part 2
- Sponge Goes to the Movies
- The Pinsky-Sponge Gazette
- Capture the Flag
- Park Ranger Mona
- The Wrath of Kahn, Jr.
- Anawanna Incorporated
In March 2010, six episodes from season two became available for purchase on iTunes, Amazon.com, and Zune marketplace. In August 2010, six episodes from season one became available for purchase on each place. Six episodes are also available on Media Go.
Salute Your Shorts has appeared frequently on "The '90s Are All That," a 1990s oriented program block on TeenNick. Because of the series' relatively short run, the series does not have a permanent time slot, but it has won several U-Picks and has also appeared in holiday blocks.
Many of the original cast and crew reunited in September 2012 for a panel at the Comikaze Expo in Los Angeles. Megan Berwick could not attend, but sent a video message for the attendees. Heidi Lucas did not attend, and her absence was unexplained.
Awards and nominations
- 1993 — Award - Best Young Actor Co-Starring in a Cable Series — Young Artist Awards (Michael Bower)
- 1993 — Award - Best Young Actress Co-Starring in a Cable Series — Young Artist Awards (Heidi Lucas)
- 1993 — Nomination - Best Young Actor Co-Starring in a Cable Series — Young Artist Awards (Danny Cooksey)
- 1993 — Nomination - Best Young Actress Co-Starring in a Cable Series — Young Artist Awards (Venus DeMilo)
- 1993 — Nomination - Best Young Actor Co-Starring in a Cable Series — Young Artist Awards (Trevor Eyster)
- Greene, James. "Michael Ray Bower". Ink 19. Retrieved 2010-05-11.
- "Fourteenth Annual Youth in Film Awards". Young Artist Awards. Retrieved 28 June 2014.