Presidential elections were held in El Salvador on 3 January 1939. Maximiliano Hernández Martínez was the only candidate, and won unopposed. No results were posted.
- ^ Krehm, William (1957) Democracia y tiranias en el Caribe Buenos Aires: Editorial Parnaso, p36
- Anderson, Thomas P (1971) Matanza: El Salvador's communist revolt of 1932 Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press
- Parker, Franklin D (1981) The Central American republics Westport: Greenwood Press
- Political Handbook of the world, 1940 New York, 1941
- Williams, Philip J. and Knut Walter (1997) Militarization and demilitarization in El Salvador's transition to democracy Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press