Salwick railway station
|The station in 2007|
|Managed by||Northern Rail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|2 May 1938||Closed|
|8 April 1940||Reopened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Salwick from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Salwick railway station is situated on the Preston-to-Blackpool railway line in England, 5 1⁄4 miles (8.4 km) west of Preston, and is managed by Northern Rail. The station lies between Preston and Kirkham, near the village of Clifton.
Lancashire County Council has pledged to construct a new station at nearby Cottam which may require the closure of neighbouring Salwick as referred to at Page 38 of the Central Lancashire Highways and Transport Masterplan.
Salwick is served by only three trains towards Preston/Colne and four towards Blackpool a day, but it is not a formal request stop; trains are timetabled to stop there. It is used by very few passengers (as low as 1,858 in 2004–05), but provides a commuter service for the workers at the nearby Springfields BNFL complex. Trains do not call at Salwick on Sundays.
- Biddle, G (1989). The Railways Around Preston - A Historical Review. Scenes from the Past. Foxline Publishing. p. 56. ISBN 1-870119-05-3.
- Bairstow, Martin (2001). Railways of Blackpool and the Fylde. Martin Bairstow Publ. p. 37. ISBN 1-871944-23-6.
- Highways and Transport masterplan (Link) Lancashire County Council
- "Electronic National Rail Timetable" (PDF). Network Rail. Retrieved 2007-04-23.
- Taylor, Stuart (1997). Journeys by Excursion Train: Preston to Blackpool (Central). Scenes from the Past. Foxline Publishing. pp. 44–45. ISBN 1-870119-51-7.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Salwick railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Kirkham and Wesham||Northern Rail
Blackpool (S) Branch Line
|Kirkham and Wesham||Preston and Wyre Joint Railway||Lea Road|