Claflin at the Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides premiere, 2011
|Born||Samuel George Claflin
27 June 1986
Ipswich, England, U.K.
|Spouse(s)||Laura Haddock (m. 2013)|
Samuel George "Sam" Claflin (born 27 June 1986) is an English film and television actor best known for portraying Philip Swift in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, William in Snow White and the Huntsman and Finnick Odair in the The Hunger Games film series.
Samuel George Claflin was born on 27 June 1986 in Ipswich, England as the third of four sons to Mark, a finance officer, and Sue Claflin, a classroom assistant. He has two older brothers, Benjamin and Daniel, and a younger brother, Joseph, who is also an actor.
As a child, Claflin had an interest in football. He played throughout his childhood until he broke his ankle, an injury that he felt would prevent him from ever playing professionally. After some persuasion from his parents and a teacher whom he'd made an impression on at his high school (Costessey High School in Norwich) during a play performance, he pursued acting. He was a member of the School of Excellence for Norwich City FC. In 2003, he took up Performing Arts at Norwich City College, before going on to attend the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, from which he graduated in 2009.
Claflin made his acting debut in 2010, when he appeared on the television miniseries The Pillars of the Earth as Richard and in the TV series Any Human Heart as young Logan Mountstuart. In March 2011, he was cast as Thomas in The Seventh Son, a film adaptation of The Spook's Apprentice, but dropped for unknown reasons and was replaced by Ben Barnes. His next appearance came in April 2011, when he portrayed the role of footballer Duncan Edwards in the BBC TV drama United, which was centred around the events of the 1958 Munich air disaster, in which Edwards was fatally injured. In April 2010, he was cast as Phillip Swift, a missionary that falls in love with a mermaid, in 2011's Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, the fourth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean film series. For the film, he received a nomination in the 17th Empire Awards for "Best Male Newcomer."
In 2012, he appeared as Jack in the 6-episode TV series White Heat. Later that year, he played a supporting role in the 2012 film Snow White and the Huntsman, as William, Snow White's childhood friend. He received a nomination in the 2012 Teen Choice Awards for the category "Best Movie Breakout." Also in 2012, he was cast in the lead role in Hammer Films' The Quiet Ones, which was filmed in mid-2013 and was released in April 2014.
On 22 August 2012, Lionsgate announced that Claflin had been cast as Finnick Odair from The Hunger Games film series, starting with The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Despite an uneasy reaction from fans of the series, director of Catching Fire, Francis Lawrence, stated of Claflin's performance during filming: "Finnick's an interesting character. At first he feels like a bit of a flirt and there's a little bit of sexual tension, but really you kind of fall in love with the guy and you see that there's a real deep emotional side to him. It's one of the reasons I really hired him in the first place was that it's where his character goes in the next couple of stories and I just think he did a fantastic job." The film was released in November 2013 to general acclaim and Claflin's portrayal of Finnick received positive reviews. Claflin has filmed The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 and Part 2, scheduled for release in November 2014 and November 2015, respectively.
In February 2013, it was announced that Claflin was cast as Alex in the film adaption of Cecelia Ahern's novel Where Rainbows End. The following month, he starred in the TV film Mary and Martha as Ben, alongside Hilary Swank and Brenda Blethyn, which was broadcast by BBC One.
In 2011, Claflin started dating British actress Laura Haddock. In a 2012 interview, he said of Haddock, "She's my female counterpart is the best way to describe her. She is my mum. She reminds me of my mum so much which I think - a guy will know, right? It's important. Your mum knows like everything." Claflin states that after he first met her, he called his agent proclaiming he had just met the woman he wanted to marry. After a year-and-a-half long engagement, the two married in July 2013 in a private ceremony.
|2011||Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides||Philip Swift|
|2012||Snow White & the Huntsman||William|
|2013||The Hunger Games: Catching Fire||Finnick Odair|
|2014||The Quiet Ones||Brian McNeil|
|Love, Rosie||Alex Stewart||Post-production|
|The Riot Club||Alistair||Post-production|
|The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1||Finnick Odair||Post-production|
|2015||The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2||Finnick Odair||Post-production|
|2010||The Pillars of the Earth||Richard||8 episodes|
|The Lost Future||Kaleb||TV film|
|Any Human Heart||Logan Mountstuart (Young)||4 episodes|
|2011||United||Duncan Edwards||TV film|
|2012||White Heat||Jack||6 episodes|
|2013||Mary and Martha||Ben||TV film|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Empire Awards||Best Male Newcomer||Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides||Nominated|
|Grace Award||Most Inspiring Performance||Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Breakout||Snow White and the Huntsman||Nominated|
|2014||Empire Awards||Best Supporting Actor||The Hunger Games: Catching Fire||Nominated|
|2014||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Scene Stealer||The Hunger Games: Catching Fire||Pending|
- "Sam Claflin Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story". Biography.com. 1986-06-27. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Anything you can do... – Rising star Joe aims to follow in brother Sam Claflin’s footsteps - News - Norwich Evening News". Eveningnews24.co.uk. 2012-08-25. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Walsh, Peter (20 November 2010). "Former Costessey pupil lands major Manchester United film role". Norwich Evening News. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Film star wanted to play football for Norwich City - News - Norwich Evening News". Eveningnews24.co.uk. 2011-05-13. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Cornet, Roth (2011, n.d.). "Interview: Sam Claflin Talks 'Snow White and the Huntsman'". ScreenRant.com. Archived from the original on 22 August 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Kroll, Justin (31 March 2011). "'Seventh Son' finds young leads". Variety (magazine). Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- Fleming, Mike (24 June 2011). "Ben Barnes Lands Lead Opposite Jeff Bridges In Warner Bros’ ‘Seventh Son’". Deadline.com. Archived from the original on 22 August 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Best Male Newcomer". Empire. Retrieved 8 December 2013.[dead link]
- Kemp, Stuart (11 May 2012). "Sam Claflin Signs up for 'The Quiet Ones'". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 22 August 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Ng, Philiana (22 August 2012). "'Catching Fire' Casts Sam Claflin as Finnick". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 22 August 2012. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- Johnson, Zach (22 August 2012). "Sam Claflin Cast as Finnick in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire". Us Weekly. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- Bentley, Josh; Josh Horowitz (21 July 2013). "'Catching Fire': How Sam Claflin Captured Finnick's 'Sexual Tension'". MTV. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- Gleiberman, Owen (22 November 2013). "Review: 'Catching Fire' smoothly exciting". CNN. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- Morris, Christopher (4 December 2013). "Hunger Games: Mockingjay shooting site under construction". Yahoo. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "Cecelia Ahern’s ‘Love, Rosie’ To Be Adapted - GalleyCat". Mediabistro.com. 2013-02-14. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- Danny Cohen, Controller, BBC One (2012-07-17). "Media Centre - Hilary Swank and Brenda Blethyn to star in new film for BBC One". BBC. Retrieved 2013-11-21.
- "Sam Claflin: "I'm very gentlemanly"". Yahoo. 30 May 2012. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- "Sam Claflin, "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" star, marries Laura Haddock". CBS News. 1 August 2013. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- "Sam Claflin, Hunger Games Star, Marries Actress Laura Haddock in Private Ceremony". 1 August 2013. Retrieved 31 July 2013.