|Full name||Samuel Gilbert|
|Date of birth||19 August 1986|
|Place of birth||New South Wales|
|Original team||Southport (QAFL)|
|Draft||#33, 2005 National Draft, St Kilda|
|Height/Weight||194cm / 90kg|
|Current club||St Kilda|
|2006–||St Kilda||146 (29)|
|International team honours|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of 2014 season.
Gilbert had a rugby league background, spending his junior days playing for the Bilambil Jets in the Group 18 Rugby League on the New South Wales Northern Coast. His grandfather (Jack Gilbert) and great grandfather (Herb Gilbert) played for St. George Dragons in the New South Wales Rugby Football League Premiership. Herb was also a dual-code rugby international who captained Australia at rugby league.
Gilbert moved to the Gold Coast, Queensland at the age of 14, where he switched to Australian Rules at the Coolangatta-Tweed Blues, before moving to Southport, Queensland. He attracted the eye of talent scouts after impressing at Southport Sharks and in the Queensland Scorpions Representative Side.
Gilbert played only one further match in 2006, failing to make a big impact.
His rugby background has led to his physical approach and strong sidestepping and tackling ability.
The 2007 season brought further opportunities for Gilbert and he was included for the Round 5 match against Port Adelaide Power, after improved form in St Kilda's VFL affiliated team, the Casey Scorpions. Setting the pattern for his team mates, Gilbert laid seven tackles. He held his spot in the side and improved under coach Ross Lyon, playing every game for the rest of the year.
Gilbert was drafted as a key defender, but his agility and speed has allowed him to play through the midfield and up forward.
After a statistically strong performance in Round 16, in which Gilbert had 16 kicks, 12 marks and 6 handballs, he was awarded the AFL Rising Star Nomination for that round.
St Kilda qualified for 2009 AFL Grand Final after qualifying and preliminary finals wins. Gilbert played in the grand final in which St Kilda were defeated by 12 points.
Gilbert played in 26 games in 2010, including four finals matches, and finished 3rd in St Kilda's Best & Fairest Award (Trevor Barker Medal).
As of the end of the 2010 season, Gilbert had played in 10 AFL finals matches including three grand finals.
- Defender Sam Gilbert helps lead St Kilda charge towards AFL Premiership Andrew Hamilton for The Courier-Mail 24 September 2009
- League Boy a St Kilda Star
- Winning Change for Gilbert
- Edmund, Sam (11 July 2009). "Sam Gilbert, the code breaker".
- "St Kilda wins NAB cup". The Age. 8 March 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- "Saints are NAB Cup Champions in 2008". Jeld-Wen. 8 March 2008. Retrieved 2009-11-07.
- AFL Rising Star Round 16
- "2009 Season Scores and Results - Ladder". AFL Tables. 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Kilda Football Club.|
- Sam Gilbert's profile on the official website of the St Kilda Football Club
- Sam Gilbert's statistics from AFL Tables