|Full name||Adrian Samuel Hird|
|Date of birth||7 September 1987|
|Place of birth||Doncaster, England|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|2007||→ Doncaster Rovers (loan)||5||(0)|
|2007–2008||→ Grimsby Town (loan)||17||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 14:51, 16 September 2012 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Hird signed terms with Aston Villa at a young age after catching the eyes of scouts, before moving on to sign for the Leeds United Academy. Hird initially played as a striker before being developed into a defender at Leeds. He captained the youth and reserve sides before moving on.
Hird was signed by Doncaster Rovers on a three-month loan from Leeds United in February 2007. He was released by Leeds at the end of the 2006–07 season and was signed by Doncaster Rovers on 2 July 2007. He joined Grimsby Town on a month's loan in November 2007. This was extended for a second month in December.
Hird broke into the Doncaster side late in the 2007–08 season after an injury crisis hit Rovers in defence. Hird put in several impressive performances and was part of the side that beat Leeds United (his former club) 1–0 at Wembley Stadium in the League One Play-off final to win promotion to the Championship.
Hird formed an impressive partnership with Matt Mills in Rovers first season in the Championship. He has been in and out of the team over the years but in the summer of 2011, Hird once again signed a contract extension, this time for an extra year. In May 2012, Hird was released by the club after the expiry of his contract.
Sam and his younger brother Steven grew up in Doncaster, the children of Adrian and Tina. Hird has a son with his girlfriend Francesca, Harrison Samuel Hird (born in 2010).
- League One play-offs: 2007–08
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2012). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2012–2013 (43rd ed.). London: Headline. p. 465. ISBN 978-0-7553-6356-8.
- "Doncaster capture Hird from Leeds". BBC Sport. 9 February 2007. Retrieved 2 July 2007.
- "Quartet are shown door by Leeds". BBC Sport. 15 May 2007. Retrieved 2 July 2007.
- "Sullivan and Hird join Doncaster". BBC Sport. 2 July 2007. Retrieved 2 July 2007.
- "Grimsby sign Doncaster defender". BBC Sport. 21 November 2007. Retrieved 21 November 2007.
- "Hird extends Grimsby loan spell". BBC Sport. 19 December 2007. Retrieved 19 December 2007.
- "Dozen depart from Rovers". Sky Sports. 18 May 2012.