Sam Houston Race Park
|Owned by||Penn National Gaming and MAXXAM|
|Date opened||April 24, 1994|
|Race type||Thoroughbred and Quarter Horse|
Sam Houston Race Park is a horse racing track located in unincorporated northwest Houston, Texas, United States. The park hosts both Thoroughbred horse racing and American Quarter Horse each year along with Country Music, Rock music, and Classic rock concerts.
The park opened on April 24, 1994 and is the first Class 1 Horse Racing venue constructed in Texas. It cost approximately $90 million to construct and is used as a concert venue when races aren't being held. The race park is considered fastest growing race track in America based on attendance over the past year.
Sam Houston Race Park's largest attendance was recorded on July 4, 2008 with an attendance of 32,177.
Races at Sam Houston
The race track hosts two live race meets annually. Thoroughbred horse racing runs from late January till early March. American Quarter Horse races are held from the beginning of March through the middle of May. The rest of the year the park is open for simulcast racing around the United States.
Among many others, these are the races Sam Houston Race Park holds each year along with their purses:
- The $400,000 Houston Ladies Classic (inaugurated in 2013)
- The Grade III $200,000 Connally Breeders’ Cup Turf
- The $150,000 MAXXAM Gold Cup
- The $75,000 Martanza Stakes
- The $50,000 Jersey Lilly Stakes
- The $50,000 Sam Houston Turf Sprint Cup
- The $45,000 Mission Stakes
- The $45,000 Fort Bend Country Stakes
- The $45,000 Spring Stakes
- The $45,000 Sam Houston Oaks
- The $45,000 Texas Heritage Stakes
- The $45,000 Tomball Stakes
- The $45,000 Jersey Village Stakes
- The $29,250 Allen's Landing Stakes
- The $25,000 Space City Stakes
- The $25,000 Buffalo Bayou Stakes
- The $25,000 Black Gold Stakes
- The $25,000 Texans Stakes
Along with the 1-mile track & 7-furlong turf course for the horses, Sam Houston Race Park offers 8 bars, 2 restaurants, Grandstand suites, San Jacinto Suite, Celebration Suite, Director's Suite, Sam Houston Suite, and the House Suite.  The park contains many concession areas on the Paddock and Club levels.
Sam Houston Race Park hosts many concerts throughout each year. Each year the park hosts the ZiegenBock Music Festival, a smaller version of the Lone Star State Jam held in Austin, TX. A compilation of Country Music's finest artists and many of the up-and-coming start of Texas country music brings thousands out to Sam Houston Race Park each year for the festival. The strong history of concerts at Sam Houston Race Park includes names such as Gary Allan, Eli Young Band, Randy Rogers Band, and many more. 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sam Houston Race Park.|