Sam Hunter (TV series)
|Created by||Frank Spotnitz|
|No. of episodes||4|
|Executive producer(s)||Frank Spotnitz
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Kudos film and television
Big Light Productions
Sam Hunter is a television drama series created and written by Frank Spotnitz and produced by Kudos Film and Television and Big Light Productions for American premium cable broadcaster Cinemax. It follows on from the events in television programme Hunted. The series is slated to air in 2014 and will consist of four hour-long episodes. Melissa George is to return as agent Sam Hunter, now on the run from her former employer with a price on her head and a young daughter to protect. She will work as a freelance spy to discover who wants her dead, and how her predicament is connected to the murder of her own mother.
Melissa George has reported that the second series of Hunted would be set in Berlin. The Australian star previously said that her Hunted role "could potentially be long-term", adding that she may be playing Sam "for the next five years".
On 3 November 2012, it was reported that British screenwriter Claire Wilson had joined the writing team in preparation for a second series pickup from BBC One and Cinemax.
However, on 14 November 2012, The Guardian reported that BBC One had decided not to commission a second series of Hunted, citing ratings declines as the primary reason. Cinemax has since announced that it is working with Frank Spotnitz to reboot the show, describing the current incarnation as "too expensive" to continue without BBC support.
Spotnitz has revealed that the original plans for Hunted Series Two — which would have followed Sam Hunter to Germany — have been abandoned in the wake of the series shake-up. "It's going to change — that [Berlin plot] was when we still had the BBC as a partner", he explained. "Now it's one of those funny things where it's the same character, but it's a different series." Spotnitz added that he "would very much expect" future episodes to air in the UK, adding that he has considered other British networks as potential partners.
In June 2013 it was announced that the second season might become a four-hour miniseries called Sam Hunter, airing in 2014. However, as of 12 December 2014, no further announcement concerning the series has been made.
- Laing, Greg (21 June 2013). "'Hunted' spinoff 'Sam Hunter' starring Melissa George in development". Digital Spy. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- Roots, Kimberly (21 June 2013). "Cinemax Sights Hunted Spin-Off Miniseries". TVLine. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- Munn, Patrick (25 September 2012). "BBC One/Cinemax Eyeing Second Season Order For 'Hunted', Adds Ben Harris To Writing Team". TVWise. Retrieved 25 September 2012.
- Published Monday, 22 October 2012, 10:58am EDT (18 October 2012). "Melissa George talks 'Hunted' series two plans: 'It's set in Berlin' - TV News". Digital Spy. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- Munn, Patrick (3 November 2012). "BBC One/Cinemax Series 'Hunted' Adds Claire Wilson To Writing Staff, Renewal Discussions In "Early Stages"". TVWise. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- Brown, Maggie (14 November 2012). "BBC1's Hunted laid to rest". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 November 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (15 November 2012). "Cinemax Eyes New Incarnation of 'Hunted' With Frank Spotnitz and Melissa George". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 15 November 2012.