Sam J. McAllister
|Sam J. McAllister|
|Sport(s)||Basketball, Baseball, Football|
|Position(s)||Football – Tackle
Basketball – Guard
Baseball – Pitcher
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
|Overall||Football: 0–0 (–)
Basketball: 194–133 (.593)
Baseball: 91–74–4* (.550)
Early life and education
McAllister graduated from St. Viator in 1926, and was elected the "head coach of athletics" immediately thereafter. He coached the St. Viator football, basketball and baseball teams from 1926 to 1930, and compiled win-loss records of 46–14 in baseball and 51–19 in basketball in four seasons.
In December 1930, McAllister was hired to be the head coach of the Auburn Tigers men's basketball and the Auburn Tigers baseball teams of Alabama Polytechnic Institute in Auburn, Alabama, positions he held from 1930 to 1933. He compiled an overall win-loss record of 25–18 as the Tigers' basketball coach; the Tigers' baseball records for 1931–1933 are incomplete.
McAllister later served as the head coach of the Florida Gators men's basketball team of the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, from 1937 to 1942 and again from 1946 to 1951, leading the Gators to an overall record of 119–96 in ten seasons. McAllister was also the head coach of the Florida Gators baseball team from 1940 to 1942 and from 1946 to 1947, and compiled an overall record of 40–56–4 in five seasons. During his stints as the head coach of the Gators' basketball and baseball teams, he also served as the line coach and assistant for the Florida Gators football team under head coaches Josh Cody, Tom Lieb and Raymond Wolf from 1938 to 1942, and again from 1946 to 1950, while doubling as the head coach of the Gators' freshman football team known as the "Omelette Squad."
Head coaching records
|Auburn Tigers (Southern Conference) (1930–1932)|
|Auburn Tigers (Southeastern Conference) (1932–1933)|
|Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) (1937–1942)|
|Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) (1946–1951)|
- St. Viator Irish football records are not available.
- Auburn Tigers baseball records are incomplete for 1931 and 1932, and are omitted from career win-loss record.
- Associated Press, "Sam McAllister Joins Alabama Coaching Staff," The Hartford Courant, p. 12C (December 14, 1930). Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- 2010–11 Auburn Tigers Men's Basketball Media Guide, Auburn University Athletic Department, Auburn, Alabama, p. 126 (2010). Retrieved January 10, 2011.
- 2010–11 Florida Gators Men's Basketball Media Guide, Gator History & Records, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 113, 123–124 (2010). Retrieved May 10, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Baseball Media Supplement, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 109 & 112 (2011). Retrieved May 10, 2011.
- 2010 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, Gator History, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, p. 193 (2010). Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Baseball in Florida, Pineapple Press, Inc., Sarasota, Florida (1996). ISBN 1-56164-097-2.