Sam R. Balcomb
Sam R. Balcomb writes, directs, and produces feature films, shorts, music videos and commercials. Growing up in Los Angeles, and spending much of his time on studio backlots, he became enamored early on with the magic of filmmaking.
He is best known for directing the The Legend of Zelda April Fools trailer, released by IGN Entertainment. The trailer premiered on IGN.com on April 1, 2008 to huge reaction from the internet. It became the 18th most Googled term in the world that day, was written about in Variety magazine, and made the list of Wikipedia's well-known pranks. On April 2, after it was viewed over 2 million times, it was revealed by IGN that the trailer was a hoax.
A lifelong artist, Sam developed early-on a talent for illustration, which has proven invaluable for the ability to storyboard his own projects. He was heavily influenced by the writings of J. R. R. Tolkien, and in 2000, wrote a feature film called Ancanar inspired by his works.
In 2010, his promo for the television show Lost, titled Convergence, aired on ABC during the penultimate episode of the show on May 18. In August of that year, his short film The Damage Done won 1st place at WestFest, as well as being featured as a Staff Pick on Vimeo.
- "Rainfall Films: About Sam Balcomb". Rainfall Films. December 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-01.
- "IGN: Legend of Zelda Movie". IGN Movies. April 2008. Retrieved 2008-12-01.
- "Sam Balcomb: Featured June Artist". TheScreamOnline. June 2001. Archived from the original on 2008-04-06. Retrieved 2008-04-22.
- "WestFest Winners". DVXuser.com. August 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- "Vimeo Staff Picks". Vimeo.com. August 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-08.