|Born||Samuel Travis Sicilia
February 1, 1986
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||145 lb (66 kg; 10.4 st)|
|Reach||66.0 in (168 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Spokane, Washington|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Samuel Travis Sicilia (born February 1, 1986) is an American mixed martial artist who currently competes in the Featherweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. He was a competitor on FX's The Ultimate Fighter: Live.
Mixed martial arts career
Sicilia began training in MMA in 2007, taking his first amateur fights late in the year before turning professional shortly after. After his first pro win he took a nearly four year break from fighting. He returned in 2011, and went 9-1 fighting for several regional promotions in the north-western United States.
The Ultimate Fighter
In February 2012, it was revealed that Sicilia was selected to be a participant on The Ultimate Fighter: Live. Sicilia defeated Dominick Cruz training partner, Erin Beach, via an eight second KO to move into the Ultimate Fighter house, and become an official cast member.
Sicilia was selected as the second pick (third overall) by Dominick Cruz to take part on Team Cruz. In the first round of the tournament, Sicilia was selected to fight former Bellator Fighting Championships fighter, Chris Saunders. Sicilia lost the fight via split decision after two rounds. The decision was heavily disputed by many, including UFC president Dana White who claimed, "I think Sicilia got robbed of the opportunity of going to a third round, though. But great fight."
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Sicilia made his UFC debut at The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale on June 1, 2012 in Las Vegas, Nevada against TUF cast mate, Cristiano Marcello. He won the fight via KO in the second round. After the win Sicilia expressed interest in returning to the featherweight division.
Sicilia was expected to face Godofredo Pepey on September 4, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 28. However, Pepey pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Felipe Arantes. Subsequently, Sicilia also pulled out of the bout for undisclosed reasons and was replaced by Kevin Souza.
Sicilia was expected to face promotional newcomer Doo Ho Choi on May 24, 2014 at UFC 173. However, Choi pulled out of the bout citing an injury. Sicilia instead faced promotional newcomer Aaron Phillips. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Film and television
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 matches||13 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||13–5||Katsunori Kikuno||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Nelson||September 20, 2014||2||1:38||Saitama, Japan|
|Win||13–4||Aaron Phillips||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 173||May 24, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||12–4||Cole Miller||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Philippou||January 15, 2014||2||1:54||Duluth, Georgia, United States|
|Win||12–3||Godofredo Pepey||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Belfort vs. Henderson||November 9, 2013||1||1:42||Goiânia, Brazil|
|Loss||11–3||Maximo Blanco||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale||April 13, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||11–2||Rony Jason||TKO (punches)||UFC 153||October 13, 2012||2||4:16||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil||Featherweight debut.|
|Win||11–1||Cristiano Marcello||KO (knees & punches)||The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale||June 1, 2012||2||2:53||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–1||Arley George||KO (punch)||Conquest of the Cage 10||December 15, 2011||1||0:25||Airway Heights, Washington, United States|
|Win||9–1||Jared Haller||TKO (punches)||Caged Conflict||November 12, 2011||1||0:25||Canyonville, Oregon, United States|
|Win||8–1||Josiah Mitchell||KO (punch)||CageSport 16||October 1, 2011||1||0:29||Tacoma, Washington, United States|
|Win||7–1||Dominic Rivera||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Fight Night Round 16||August 13, 2011||1||2:38||Anacortes, Washington, United States|
|Win||6–1||Josh Snodgrass||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Caged Combat 4||July 29, 2011||1||1:48||Grand Ronde, Oregon, United States|
|Win||5–1||Angel Diaz||KO (punch)||Lords of the Cage 7||July 16, 2011||1||3:35||Manson, Washington, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Daniel Swain||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Lords of the Cage 6||June 10, 2011||1||2:37||Yakima, Washington, United States|
|Win||4–0||Charon Spain||Submission (neck crank)||Lords of the Cage 5||April 28, 2011||1||4:03||Airway Heights, Washington, United States|
|Win||3–0||Marc Forsyth||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Rumble on the Ridge 17||March 5, 2011||2||4:07||Snoqualmie, Washington, United States|
|Win||2–0||Jason Gybels||KO (punches)||Rumble on the Ridge 16||January 15, 2011||1||2:54||Snoqualmie, Washington, United States|
|Win||1–0||Brian Clayton||Decision (unanimous)||Combat Caged Warriors 4||September 15, 2007||3||5:00||Tri-Cities, Washington, United States|
- "'The Ultimate Fighter 15' cast unveiled with 32 lightweight fighters". MMAJunkie.com. February 27, 2012. Retrieved March 19, 2012.
- "Mixed martial arts results, Season 15 - The Ultimate Fighter". State of Nevada, Department of Business and Industry Athletic Commission. March 9, 2012. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "Dana White: Sam Sicilia deserved a third round on 'TUF: Live'". MMAJunkie.com. April 28, 2012. Retrieved May 31, 2012.
- "TUF Live Finale adds Marcello-Sicilia". MMAJunkie.com. May 23, 2012. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Rony 'Jason' Mariano Bezerra meets Sam Sicilia at UFC 153". mmajunkie.com. July 25, 2012.
- Staff (February 16, 2013). "TUF 17 Finale Adds Maximo Blanco vs. Sam Sicilia". mmaweekly.com.
- Christoffer Esping (July 12, 2013). "Godofredo ‘Pepey’ Castro möter Sam Sicilia på UFC on FOX Sports 1 #3". mmanytt.se.
- Staff (2013-07-18). "Felipe Arantes Steps in to Replace Injured Godofredo Pepey at UFC Fight Night 28 on FS1". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- Guilherme Cruz (2013-08-07). "Edimilson Souza replaces Sam Sicilia, will fight Felipe Arantes at UFC Fight Night 28". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- Ivan Raupp (2013-09-12). "Duelo entre Pepey e Sam Sicilia é remarcado para o UFC em Goiânia (Brazilian Portuguese)". sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2013-09-12.
- Mike Whitman. "UFC Returns to Georgia in January with Cole Miller-Sam Sicilia". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2013-11-14.
- Matt Erickson (2014-02-21). "Sam Sicilia meets newcomer Doo Ho Choi at UFC 173 in May". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- B Wylie (2014-04-20). "Doo Ho Choi injured, out of next months Featherweight clash with Sam Sicilia at UFC 173". fightsportasia.com. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- Damon Martin (2014-07-01). "Sam Sicilia vs Katsunori Kikuno at 145lbs at UFC Fight Night in Japan.". Twitter. Retrieved 2014-07-01.
- Lee W (2014-12-04). "Akira Corassani vs Sam Sicilia joins UFC on FOX 14 lineup". mmacrazytv.com. Retrieved 2014-12-04.
- Fight Life: MMA Documentary