Samnabad (Urdu: سمن آباد) is a major residential area and administrative subdivision of Lahore, Pakistan. It is the Oldest Posh area of Lahore and located in the center of City. It houses about 250,000 people and is neighboured by Multan Road, Mozang, Gulshan-e-Ravi, Islamia Park, Ichhra and Iqbal Town. Lahore's largest market of 2nd hand/used cars is also in Samanabad, which starts from Gulsha-e-Ravi & ends on Mozang. Most of the residential units in the area were built in the 1960-70s. This area is known for small but lush green playgrounds, abundant trees and privately maintained green beds. The locality is also home to Doongi Ground Cricket Stadium and Samanabad Football club which hosts local matches usually of the Samnabad Cricket Club and for Samanabad football club. A sports complex named LDA Sports Complex is also situated here.
In ancient times, "Samnabad" was the second name of Ichhra, an ancient village that belonged to the Kambojas, a people of Semitic origin and the believers of Shamanism. These Kamboja people claimed to be descendants of Shem (one of the sons of prophet Noah) and the Iranian Saman Khuda. Some of them, who prefer to be called Kamo, claim to be related to Kamon and to have migrated from the Arab countries. Thus, the word Saman may have originated from Saman Khuda where as abad in Urdu means populated.
Samnabad is an important hub of educational activities. Many colleges and schools belonging to the government sector, as well as private sector academies and tuition centers, are serving the cause of education at this hub of knowledge. Important educational institutes of the government sector housed at Samnabad include:
- Government College for Women
- Government Central Model High School
- Government Islamia High School
- Government Girls Higher Secondary School
- Government Institute of Commerce
- Government Sulemania High School
- Government Junior Model School
- The Educators
- American Lycetuff School
- The Times College, 798-N
- New Era Grammar School
- Central Group Of Colleges 62-Poonch Road, Samanabad, Lahore.Contact Nos.7554316 & 61
- LARAIB NATIONAL ACADEMY,1-A Aria Nagar Poonch Road, Samanabad, Lahore.TEL:04237551144
- Naveeed Majeed Academy N Block Poonch Road
- Gracious Home Grammer School
- The Aquila School System (The Aquila Foundation for Education)
- U C MAS EDUCATION GROUP, Samnabad LEARNING CENTRE (042-37535355)
Samanabad have LDA Sports complex and Swimming poll. Samnabad is home to a wide mix of sports complex and gymnasiums. The locality is represented by Samnabad Cricket Club in league matches played at the Doongi Ground Cricket Stadium.Samanabad football club, Samanabad Hockey Club.
Sites of interest and importance
The three most important main roads of Samnabad in terms of commercial activity include:
- Main Boulevard Samnabad: Automobile Market; Main Market of Samnabad; Sheikhoo Restaurant(one of the most famous and oldest restaurant in the region); Tomb of Zeb-un-Nisa; Cuisine specialities: Shawarmas, Pathooras and Dahee Bhallas.
- Poonch Road: Haree Kothees (meaning homes with green painted façades); Event and Marriage Halls; Bank branches of Habib Bank, MyBank, Allied BankNational BANK, National Saving center,Alfalah Bank<Standard Charterd Bank,MCB Bank, A learning centre of an ISO certified and Multinational group U C MAS.
- Ghazali Road: Regional Office of NADRA (National Database and Registration Authority); Dongi Ground; independent health club,Amir Bakery and Departmental Store; The Bohr Tree (one of the oldest surviving trees of Lahore); Khizra Mosque; Doongi Ground or LDA (Lahore Development Authority) Sports Complex; Pakistan Post Office
Samnabad is also known for its roundabouts:
- 1st Roundabout (Pehla Gol Chakkar), seen while coming from Morrhe Samnabad
- 2nd Roundabout (Doosra Gol Chakkar) near Telephone Exchange
- 3rd Roundabout (Teesra Gol Chakkar/Chaudhry Colony Stop) near Samnabad Girls College
There are two important shopping centres in Samnabad namely Main Market (between first and second roundabout) and the Mini Market near Central Model School, Samnabad. It also houses the head office of one the largest Pakistani food chains, Al-Najam Fried Chicken (AFC).