Samantha Brick is a British writer, producer and freelance journalist.
In 2012 Brick published an article in on the Daily Mail website titled ‘There are Downsides to Looking This Pretty’: Why Women Hate Me for Being Beautiful. The perception of arrogance caused the article to go viral on social media websites and Brick trended globally on Twitter. The article got 1.5 million hits on the newspaper's website and nearly 5,000 readers left comments, many of which were negative.
Hadley Freeman writing for The Guardian on 5 April 2012, criticised the Daily Mail for its treatment of its female writers. Despite the paper having a higher percentage of female writers than other British national newspapers, Freeman accused it of using, "its female writers as Trojan horses to voice its most misogynistic attitudes [...] through their confessional journalism, or having them write horrible things about other women". She gave examples of three women writers who had had their articles rewritten without their permission, in each case casting the writer in a critical light, and also criticised the paper's treatment of Samantha Brick.
Brick appeared on RTÉ's chat show, The Late Late Show on Friday the 13th of April.
Brick was a contestant on Celebrity Big Brother 10. On August 31, 2012 she became the fourth person to be evicted from the Celebrity Big Brother house.
Brick claims to have launched the careers of both comedian Russell Brand and presenter Tess Daly.
- ^ "Samantha Brick". Samantha Brick. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- ^ Samantha Brick. "'There are Downsides to Looking This Pretty': Why Women Hate Me for Being Beautiful| Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- ^ Samantha Brick. "Samantha Brick the spoof sensation: Daily Mail writer goes viral after controversial 'Why do women hate me for being beautiful?' article | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- ^ a b c "The Mail simply threw Samantha Brick to the wolves". The Guardian. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- ^ "Samantha Brick to appear on Late Late Show".
- ^ Samantha Brick to take part in Celebrity Big Brother
- ^ Ed Gleave. "Big Brother 2012: Samantha Brick gave Russell Brand TV break | Daily Star Online". DailyStar.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
External links