Samantha Ruth Prabhu
|Samantha Babu Prabhu|
Samantha at a press conference for the 61st Filmfare Awards South, 2014
|Born||Samantha Ruth Prabhu
28 April 1987 
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Alma mater||Stella Maris College, Chennai|
Samantha Ruth Prabhu (born 28 April 1987) is an Indian film actress and model, who mainly works in the Telugu and Tamil film industries. Samantha was raised in Chennai and pursued a career in modeling during her late teens. Despite signing up to Ravi Varman's Moscowin Kavery in 2007, her first release was the critically acclaimed 2010 Telugu romance film, Ye Maaya Chesave directed by Gautham Menon, which fetched her the Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut – South. She went on to appear in several commercially successful Telugu films.
In 2013, Samantha became the second actress after Revathi to win both the Filmfare Award for Best Tamil Actress and the Filmfare Award for Best Telugu Actress in the same year, for the films Neethaane En Ponvasantham and Eega, respectively.
Early life and family
Samantha was born to a Malayali mother and a Telugu father on April 28, 1987 and was raised in Chennai, Tamil Nadu becoming fluent in Tamil language. Despite her mixed ethnic background, Samantha has cited that she sees herself as a Tamil, as she was brought up speaking Tamil and English at home. As part of her education, Samantha completed her schooling from St.Stephens Matriculation school, Pallavaram, Chennai and did her Higher secondary in Holy Angels Anglo-Indian Higher Secondary School, T.Nagar. She graduated with a commerce and obtained a B.Com degree from Stella Maris College, Chennai. Samnatha said that she did modelling for pocket money, acting happened to her. In 2013, Samantha decided to shift base to Hyderabad.
Debut in 2010
Samantha's first release was Indira Productions' Gautham Menon directed Telugu film, Ye Maaya Chesave. The film simultaneously made in Tamil as Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa, created much anticipation prior to release, primarily due to the first-time-collaboration between Gautham Menon and composer A. R. Rahman. The actress was signed up for the project in mid August 2009 and completed schedules across India and the United States and the film was released in February 26, 2010. The film portrayed Samantha as the lead character of Jessie, which was also the working title of the film; a Malayali Christian girl living in Hyderabad, whom the male protagonist, played by Naga Chaitanya falls in love with. Upon release, Samantha received very positive reviews for her portrayal, with film also garnering much critical acclaim. Critics at Sify claimed that Samantha was the "scene-stealer" and her beauty "is alluring" adding that "she was the girl to watch out for". Jeevi, from the Idlebrain reviews site, cited that "Samantha’s debut is one of the best heroine debuts in Telugu cinema" and that her "minute expressions she gave spoke volumes about her", whilst labelling the film as a "classic". Samantha, alongside her co-star, Naga Chaitanya, also appeared in a guest appearance in the Tamil version of the film. Both films emerged as grand successes in Tamil and Telugu respectively, propelling Samantha to sign bigger projects. She followed up her collaborations with Gautham Menon and A. R. Rahman by appearing in the music video for the World Classical Tamil Conference 2010 promotional song, Semmozhiyaana Tamizh Mozhiyaam, which Menon directed and Rahman composed.
Samantha's next release was the Sathya Jyothi-produced romantic drama, Baana Kaathadi, opposite Adharvaa, which was actually the third Tamil film signed by her, but released first due to delay of the other two projects. Following terms agreed in early 2009, the film continued shoot for a year and after several postponements finally released in August 2010 to positive response. In the film, Samantha plays a student of National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), the first such role in Tamil cinema. Her next release, was Ravi Varman's Moscowin Kavery, initially her very first acting assignment, which began in August 2007, with Samantha, then briefly known as Yasodha, joining the team later in the year. The film introduced a host of new actors, with music carried out by Thaman, then making his debut in music composing. In an interview, much prior to release in 2008, Ravi Varman mentioned that he had decided that Samantha would be the lead actress for his film within three minutes after viewing one of her commercial assignments. In the interview, he went on to describe her as an actress with "intelligence" and "potential", whilst drawing comparisons with noted actress, Revathi. However, due to Ravi Varman's date conflicts with his projects as a cinematographer, the film languished in development hell, eventually releasing in August 2010. The film gained unanimously poor reviews from critics, however Samantha's performance was labelled as one of the sole highlights that the film offered. Samantha, during the making of the last three releases, had also signed up for the Narain starrer, Pookada Ravi in August 2008 to play the lead role of a modern girl. Despite the film continuing schedules at regular intervals, the film was stalled throughout 2009 and is unlikely to be released. Samantha went onto feature in Vamsi Paidipally's Telugu film Brindaavanam in which she had a supporting role alongside NTR Jr and Kajal Aggarwal. Her role of Indu was well received despite being shorter in screen time than her previous roles and the film became her second successful Telugu film.
2011 - 2013
In 2011, Samantha made a guest appearance as a mentally ill patient in Gautham Menon's Nadunisi Naaygal, before featuring in the big budget Telugu film, Dookudu, alongside Mahesh Babu. The film was a blockbuster. The film opened to positive review with critics from CNN-IBN labelling the film as "a treat for Mahesh's fans", adding that Samantha "looks good in song sequences" The Times Of India also praised the film mentioning that "Samantha looks beautiful and has done a great job, though her role as Prashanthi isn't too lengthy". The film took the largest ever opening for a Telugu film and grossed 12.58 crores on the first day of its release. Samantha was then signed as the female lead in two big budget projects in Tamil, Mani Ratnam's Kadal and Shankar's Ai but was forced to opt out from both films, since she was suffering from a skin disease and could not work for two months. In 2012, she made a guest appearance in Gautham Menon's Ekk Deewana Tha which was the remake of director's own films, Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa and Ye Maaya Chesave, repeating her role from Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa. She then featured in S. S. Rajamouli's live action Telugu-Tamil bilingual project Eega/Naan E, The film was a high commercial success—according to The Economic Times it grossed more than 125 crore—and went on to be dubbed in several languages. Idlebrain in their review wrote, "Samantha’s run of success continues as she did extremely well as a bereaved lover." She then signed on Gautham Menon's trilingual project, playing the female lead in all three languages — Telugu, Tamil and Hindi and shooting all scenes thrice with different co-actors across languages. The Telugu and Tamil versions titled Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu and Neethaane En Ponvasantham released in December 2012, while the Hindi version, Assi Nabbe Poorey Sau has been shelved.
In the beginning of 2013, she appeared in Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu that featured Venkatesh and Mahesh Babu in the lead, marking her second film with Mahesh Babu. The film was critically and commercially successful and her performance was praised by critics along with the other female lead, Anjali. Mahesh S Koneru of 123telugu.com commented on her performance stating "Samantha is beautiful and adorable in this movie. Her cute expressions and romantic scenes with Mahesh Babu make you want to root for her". IBN Live too commented positively on her performance stating "Good to see Samantha shed her glamorous side and welcome performance-oriented roles, which she only handles with deftness and ease". Later, in February, she played the lead role in Nandini Reddy's Jabardasth co-starring Siddharth. The film, which was an unofficial remake of the 2010 Hindi film Band Baaja Baaraat was commercially unsuccessful. Oneindia Entertainment in their review commented "Samantha has good scope in the film and her bubbly characterisation is entertaining. The actress will surely impress you in both romantic and emotional sequences. Her belly dance in the song 'Meghamala' is very hot". She then starred in Trivikram Srinivas' Attharintiki Daaredhi with Pawan Kalyan, which released to positive reviews and became the highest-grossing Telugu film of the year. Samantha's next film Ramayya Vasthavayya directed by Harish Shankar, featuring NTR Jr  released to mixed reviews on October 11, 2013.
Samantha's first 2014 release Manam, saw her playing the role of a mother for the first time in her career. The film received highly positive reviews and Samantha's performance was praised by the critics. Deccan Chronicle wrote, "for Samantha, this is going to be one of her best performance till date. She perfectly fits into the two characters she played and steals the show". Her next film was the long delayed Autonagar Surya opposite Naga Chaitanya under the direction of Deva Katta. The film, which had been in production since 2010, opened to mixed reviews but has been a commercial success.
She has completed filming for the Telugu films, V. V. Vinayak's Alludu Sreenu with Bellamkonda Suresh's son Sai Srinivas  and Santosh Srinivas' Rabhasa, as well as the two high budget Tamil productions, Anjaan directed by N. Linguswamy, and Kaththi directed by AR Murugadoss. She will play the lead roles in Vijay Milton's upcoming Tamil film tentatively titled Paththu Endrathukulla, opposite Vikram, and her second film with Trivikram Srinivas's untitled Telugu project, opposite Allu Arjun first being Attarintiki Daredi.Samantha has signed for a Malayalam Film Tentatively titled Marine Drive to be produced by Arun K R.
Samantha has endorsed various brands like Coca Cola, Mayil Mark Rice, Chik Shampoo, Gokul Sandiva, Big C Mobiles, Saravana Stores, Odonil Room Freshening Gel and Dabur Vatika Hair Oil. She has recently signed up to endorse Lux and Paragon. Samantha will endorse Nutrogena
Samantha is associated with a campaign supporting the children suffering from the disease Hemophilia, since October 2012. She has been attending various awareness camps by the NGO to show her support for the same, since then on. In one such event, Samantha stated, "I was upset for two months and took break from work due to a health issue. I can understand how children diagnosed with hemophilia, a cureless genetic disease feels". She is also associated with a NGO Pratyusha, a charity organization for children and women. The organization has supported many less privileged women and children by aiding them on financial grounds.
In an interview with The Times of India in 2012, Samantha revealed that she was "deeply in love and quite happy in her relationship". She stated, "We are going very strong and I am very happy". However the actress refused to say the name of the person but is beleived to be Siddharth. She is best friends with costume designer Neeraja Kona.
|2010||Ye Maaya Chesave||Jessie Thekekuttu||Telugu||Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut – South
Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu
|2010||Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa||Nandhini||Tamil||Cameo appearance|
|2010||Moscowin Kavery||Kaveri Thangavelu||Tamil|
|2011||Nadunisi Naaygal||Asylum Patient||Tamil||Cameo appearance|
|2011||Dookudu||Prashanthi||Telugu||Nominated—Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu|
|2012||Ekk Deewana Tha||Samantha||Hindi||Cameo appearance|
|2012||Eega||Bindu||Telugu||Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu|
|2012||Neethaane En Ponvasantham||Nithya Vasudevan||Tamil||Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Tamil
Vijay Award for Best Actress
|2012||Yeto Vellipoyindhi Manasu||Nithya Yelavarthy||Telugu|
|2013||Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu||Geetha||Telugu|
|2013||Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru||Tamil||Cameo appearance|
|2013||Attarintiki Daredi||Sashi||Telugu||Nominated-Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Telugu
Nominated-3rd South Indian International Movie Awards - Best Actress
|2014||Alludu Sreenu||Anjali||Telugu||Releasing July 24, 2014|
|2015||Untitled Trivikram Srinivas project||Telugu||Pre-production|
|2015||Marine Drive||Malayalam||Project will start in 2015|
- Chowdhary, Y. Sunita (12 May 2012). "Away from the rat race". The Hindu. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- "Happy Birthday, Samantha". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 11 November 2012.
- Administrator (14 February 2012). "Samantha Biography, Samantha Ruth Prabhu Biography, Samantha Ruth Prabhu Profile, Samantha Height". Teluguvanitha.com. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Y. Sunita Chowdhary (2012-05-10). "Away from the rat race". The Hindu. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- The author has posted comments on this article (2013-11-10). "Samantha feels 'One' film changes all - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 (2014-03-27). "Samantha is in her own league". Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- Shankar, Settu (2008). "Samantha Christens herself Yashodha!". OneIndia. Retrieved 2008-08-05.
- Chowdury, Sunita Y (2010). "Poised on the edge". The Hindu. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- Prakash, B (2010). "It wasn’t a liplock really: Samantha". Times of India. Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- "Review : Samantha decides to shift base to Hyderabad". newindianexpress.com. Retrieved Jan 23, 2013.
- Moviebuzz (2010). "Audio released, confirms release on Feb 19!". Sify. Retrieved 2010-02-04.
- TNN (2009-09-24). "Big break for Samantha". Times of India (India). Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- Moviebuzz (2010). "Ye Maaya Chesave". Sify. Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- Jeevi (2010). "Ye Maya Chesave". Idlebrain. Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- Warrier, Shobha (2010). "Meet Yeh Maya Chesave's Jessie". Rediff. Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- "‘Baana Kaathadi’ getting ready to fly". Indiaglitz. 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-01.
- Ashok Kumar, S. R. (2010-08-19). "My First Break: Samantha". The Hindu (India). Retrieved 2010-08-22.
- "Friday Fury- August 6". Sify. 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-06.
- Raghavan, Nikhil (2009-03-27). "Another scorcher". The Hindu (India). Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- "Ravi Varman directs an Oscar Films production". Cinesouth. 2007. Retrieved 2007-08-27.
- "Ravi Varman Interview". Behindwoods. 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-28.
- "Aascar’s back-to-back releases". Behindwoods. 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-14.
- Moviebuzz (2010). "Movie Review: Moscowin Kaveri". Sify. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- Srinivasan, Pavithra (2010). "Moscowin Kaveri is beautiful nonsense". Rediff. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- Moviebuzz (2008). "Samantha is Narain's heroine!". Sify. Retrieved 2008-08-24.
- Prasad, G. (2009-02-15). "Image booster for Narain". The Hindu (Chennai, India). Retrieved 2009-02-15.
- "Samantha in NTR's Brindavanam". Times of India. India. 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-15.
- "NTR's Brindavanam creates waves at box-office". OneIndia.com. 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-16.
- "Telugu Review: 'Dookudu' an out and out Mahesh Babu film". CNN-IBN. Retrieved Sep 25, 2011.
- "Dookudu". Times Of India. Retrieved Sep 24, 2011.
- "Samantha out of Shankar film?". Sify.com. 2012-06-28. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "Samantha denies rumors of Bollywood debut - IBNLive". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- Pillai, Sreedhar (2010-04-16). "Samantha's walk in the clouds". Times of India (India). Retrieved 2010-04-16.
- "DCHL bankruptcy threat: PVP Ventures in fray to buy IPL team Deccan Chargers - Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2012-09-13. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- The author has posted comments on this article (2012-12-06). "Eega to be dubbed into Thai - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "'Makkhi' to get Japanese makeover: director Rajamouli - IBNLive". Ibnlive.in.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "Eega/Naan Ee/Eecha review - Telugu cinema - Nani, Sudeep, Samantha & Rajamouli". Idlebrain.com. 2012-07-06. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "Gautham creates history with a trilingual". Sify. Retrieved 11 July 2011.
- [dead link]
- "Samantha's 'Ramayya Vasthavayya' has hit the screens - Know Your Star: Samantha Ruth Prabhu". Entertainment.in.msn.com. 2013-10-11. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "South sensations invade Bollywood | Latest Celebrity Features". Bollywood Hungama. 2012-05-15. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Naayak n SVSC Reminding 1997 n 2000". cinejosh.com. Retrieved 17 Jan 2013.
- "Review : Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu – A beautifully woven emotional tale". 123telugu.com. Retrieved Jan 10, 2012.
- "'Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu' Review: This Telugu film will make you smile". IBN Live. Retrieved Jan 13, 2013.
- "Is Samantha Ruth Prabhu the new style icon of Southern cinema?". IBN Live.
- "Jabardasth - Movie Review". Oneindia Entertainment. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- "Power Star finding 'Attarintiki Daredi'". Andhraheadlines.com. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- "Samantha to romance NTR Jr". Times of India. Retrieved 23 November 2012.
- "‘Manam’ Samantha playing opposite to nagachaitanya – Samantha film". manahydnews.com. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- Saturday, Jul 12, 2014. "Movie review 'Manam': Leaves you mesmerised". Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- The author has posted comments on this article (2014-06-28). "Autonagar Surya gets trimmed by 12 minutes - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-07-12.
- "Samantha does it for Bellamkonda Suresh". Times of India. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "‘Rabhasa’ registered for NTR – Samantha film". 123telugu.com. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- "Samantha goes gaga over Tamil cinema". Times of India. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "Samantha and Vijay in Kaththi". buzzubtown.com. Retrieved July 16 2014.
- "Samantha has signed a Malayalam Film". nthwall.com. Retrieved 21 July 2014.
- "Samantha Becomes Brand Ambassador for Dabur Vatika". Timesofap. 2012-11-20. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- "Samantha in BIG C Ad Ileana replaced by Samantha". Teluguone.com. 2013-05-29. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- "Samantha does it for Annachi!". Cinemalead.com. 2012-10-09. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- Posted by: Shekhar (2013-09-18). "Photos: Samantha Turns New Brand Ambassador Of Lux". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Samantha to endorse Nutrogena". Retrieved 2014-07-07.
- "Samantha attends Hemophilia Awareness Program". Gulte.com. 2012-10-03. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- TNN Sep 2, 2013, 04.00PM IST (2013-09-02). "Samantha turns good samaritan". Times Of India. Retrieved 2013-11-27.
- "Pratyusha Support - A brain child of Samantha Ruth Prabhu". http://www.pratyushasupport.org. Retrieved 2014-07-03.
- "I am in love, says Samantha". The Times Of India. 2012-12-25. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- "Samantha and Neeraja good friends outside the film industry". www.123telugu.com. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Samantha Ruth Prabhu .|
- Samantha Ruth Prabhu at the Internet Movie Database
- Samantha Ruth Prabhu on Twitter
- Samantha in Bollywood Hungama